Epson XP-600 and 800 series

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The more intriguing aspect is how do they fill it properly to the max volume in the first place. This where the function of the little passage next to the pad comes into play. Otherwise, what is that little hole for? Nobody has even been able thus far to possibly come close to explaining that little hole is all about.
Having just pulled and cut apart a cartridge in a full dissection, I've found that the hole(s) is linked to a segmented section above the outlet port. The hole(s) link through to the inner cartridge body but are effectively vents coupled with the vented area outside the bag although the holes in each connection are less than 1mm in diameter.

Whether they are intended to act as:
- a vent while priming/filling the cartridges
- a means of thwarting refillers
..or...
- a way of stabilising any air pressure changes in the cartridge/receiver interface
... is hard to tell, but any attempt to remove air that has ingressed into the feed section is only going to be resolved if the hole(s) are temporarily sealed during such a process.

My earlier conclusion that the clips can't be mod'd to make them flush clips may have been hasty in some respects but it'll require a little thought to figure out how best to plug those holes just to allow re-priming.

As Mikling has noted earlier, it was easy to get swayed into a false sense of "Oh, this is EASY!" as we were back a ways, when the reality is that there's some rather clever little features in these things. Challenges!... Gotta love 'em :)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Phew I’m only glad I got my 9500 back working again because I was seriously thinking
of getting one of these Epson XP600 printers. :oops:

For me it would have being like back in the mine field again, or splitting the atom,
more work needed guys me thinks.. :old
Success is not just a word but something you can stand upon later. :th
The PGI-9 cartridges are still the easiest cartridges to fill by a country mile..
(Salt in the wounds):gig

rjgeisler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The ARC's you speak of I assume are from precisioncolors.com. They are all XL chips!

Ok, to summarize, if you refill the Pigment Black, it will only fill as a Standard capacity unless you mod per Miklings' instructions. The problem being the ARC and prism are out of sync.

Earlier in the discussions it was suggested the Pigment Black should have a standard ARC instead of a XL.

Won't It just be easier to refill as a standard capacity? That is, if a standard Capacity ARC was available!
The difference is only 2.5ml. What a waste of plastic!

I think the bigger question is how to trick the system for a CISS!

Rhonda

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The ARC's you speak of I assume are from precisioncolors.com. They are all XL chips!
Nope... We source from various manufacturers and sell ourselves, just like Precision Colors. Chances are high that the ARCs described in earlier posts are the same though.

Ok, to summarize, if you refill the Pigment Black, it will only fill as a Standard capacity unless you mod per Miklings' instructions. The problem being the ARC and prism are out of sync.
That is part of it... There's a twist, not already covered though. The printer can and does seem to allow a printer to continue using a reset cartridge despite the prism indicating empty. In that situation the cartridge can drain the very small/low-profile area that's immediately above the feed port(s) and critically air replaces it.

If that happens the cartridge needs to be completely reprimed to remove the air or you get constant missing nozzles as the air creates an embolism that blocks/hinders ink flow.

Earlier in the discussions it was suggested the Pigment Black should have a standard ARC instead of a XL.

Won't It just be easier to refill as a standard capacity? That is, if a standard Capacity ARC was available!
That's the problem... No such ARC chips exists. They are all of the XL capacity type as naturally the third party consumables market is not going to be interested in cartridge with less than maximum ink.

I have another ARC set to play with so that's on the agenda. Overall it's a niggle that will require a little ingenuity.

I think the bigger question is how to trick the system for a CISS!
Given that these systems were designed to specifically hinder CISS systems I'd have to disagree. It's like the Canons all over again. But that's just my opinion.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It is recommended you use XL ARC for the BK cartridge as the standard capacity unit will empty before the optical sensor kicks in. So the XL can get you further before refilling. Depending on the model of ARC you receive, some are going to get locked out once the optical sensor is triggered. It will no longer reset. The resetters I played with for these printers will not reset the ARCs nor will they reset the OEM srtaer units. As a result, if you're starting from scratch with the starter carts, a resetter cannot be really justified as you'd need to purchase another set of carts. All the ARCs I supply are designed to NOT get locked out and able to reset even after an optical sensor trigger.

Again these printers are nice within a certain usage window. If you're looking for an all around printer that can do photos quite well, if the proper inks are used, then this machine can do it. In fact, I'll support this printer with some really high quality profiles later this winter...the output is worthy. If you're looking for an Epson for office work and no photos, then maybe getting an older design but currently still selling is likely to be superior. For a lot of text printing, look for a model that can use the T127 Black cartridge. The T127 can hold a lot of black ink.

This is going to be perhaps my final comment on these printers. If you review the design of the cartridge carefully, you'll see one thing that can potentially wear. Where will this likely happen? Two spots. The spring backing the contact pad can wear out if pressed or extended too much. Similarly the sponge backing the contact material can also suffer from overcompression if flattened too much.

Now I've refilled these things maybe, 20-30 times and they still work but I can see some flattening of the contact sponge. As a result, these cartridges, despite their self maintaining design, will eventually wear out over time. My advice is to gently insert them into the printer. Do not force them in more than necessary as this will stress the sponge and spring more than necessary and shorten its life. maybe used, gently in the manner described, they might outlast the printer. We won't know for quite a while.

I've moved onto the MG5420 now. Maybe a surprise on this model is waiting...it starts with R and ends with same. We shall see.

sandman55

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I wonder with the dribble method filling the black pigment cartridge. Would some of the pigment ink over time not be replaced and get old and give problems with blockages. As you can see from my info I'm not an expert so I might be wrong but I thought with conventional refilling the new ink goes in the top and flushes out the old ink so with the dribble method would some of the old ink stay there.

rjgeisler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wonder with the dribble method filling the black pigment cartridge. Would some of the pigment ink over time not be replaced and get old and give problems with blockages. As you can see from my info I'm not an expert so I might be wrong but I thought with conventional refilling the new ink goes in the top and flushes out the old ink so with the dribble method would some of the old ink stay there.

Epson tells us to shake the pigment black before installing the cartridge. There is no way to keep the ink seperated like that. It all mixes together.

A problem may occur if the ink starts to dry out from infrequent use.

Rhonda

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The dribble refill method is much the same as any other refill method except much easier,
the pigment ink will mix evenly through the whole cartridge and get used up just like normal,
it won’t cause any blockage inside these cartridges..;)

sandman55

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Epson tells us to shake the pigment black before installing the cartridge. There is no way to keep the ink seperated like that. It all mixes together.

A problem may occur if the ink starts to dry out from infrequent use.

Rhonda
That might be the answer. If it mixes then I guess it would dilute out with refillings.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The secret to preventing blockages everywhere in your printer is to print regularly..
Now that the secret is out, everybody will now know how to keep their printer blockage free.
Happy Printing..:D