Epson Workforce 4540 Refillable Questions

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok guys, new forum member here with a problem. Just received a refurb Workforce 4530 last week from the Epson store. Inserted the cartridges as directed. Now all the color cartridges show low. The black shows full. Printer works and functions, black and color print ok so far, just gives the low ink warning.
Ideas?
Don't want to hijack a thread but it seems related to the OP's problem....

Did it come with manufacturer sealed cartridges, can you post a pic of the status indicator with the inks?

Bob J

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce 4530
Yes, factory sealed, new cartridges. Can't post pic, but the indication on the printer screen is a yellow vertical band with a big black exclamation point in the middle on all the color cartridges. The black one shows full.
Printer and copying function works perfect so far.....Thanks for reply

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You can call Epson and explain, remove cartridges and with a pencil eraser clean contacts or buy a yellow cartridges at staples to see if ink problem or unit problem.

Jeff

Bob J

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Workforce 4530
Awaiting a reply from Epson customer service as we speak.

I just didn't know if I could remove a cartridge from the printer when not fully used, and reinsert it without messing something up.
Can you tell, new to the Epson world...:)

hdtvjeff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's a great world, and Epson is great as so is this forum, always here to help you as are others, just paying it forward.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Martin,

Chiseling the little plastic tabs above the chips solved the problem 100% thank you so much.
Excellent news... Glad I could help point you in the right direction :)

Also, if I remove a cartridge to truly see how much ink is left, does reinserting it with arc chip mean It will say 100% full, if so, is there a danger of damage if refillable cartridge is emptied while I'm unaware it happened ?
As a rule it's a good idea to top up your inks if you do pull the cartridge out so you don't hit this problem.

EDIT: Got all confused with another ARC... LeonardJohn has tackled the correct process which are the same for ours too.

nowhere

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WFP4630, WFP4540, HP LJ
I've had my Epson WF-4540 almost 2 weeks now and I'm loving it.

What is the latest information on refillable cartridges, chips and inks?

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Hi there

Sorry I did not see your post earlier regarding the WF4540.. Here is a photo of the new version chip for the 4530 refillable cartridges.

I have not had to change batteries on any of our printers yet (running over one year) but just in case here is the info...

LJH

Epson 4530.png

nowhere

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WFP4630, WFP4540, HP LJ
Thanks for your response.

I already purchased a set of refillable cartridges. They look similar to yours but use different chips and do not have a chip cover. I had similar problems to the OP but none of the suggestions showed any improvement. The vendor was somewhat responsive but had no idea how to fix things. Yellow worked on most inserts, magenta about 50%, black and cyan did not work. The replacement cyan achieved 50% but black and a third replacement never worked.

I noticed the refill cart chip position was further back than OEMs. I asked the vendor 2 times for the best way to remove and replace the chips but never got a response. I pried off the chip, shortened the distance between the chip face and contacts getting 2 blacks and cyan to work every insert. I will fix the other 2 next time they are removed. I would not buy these same cartridges or use this vendor again.

IMAG1782.jpg
chip position 1.jpg

Last edited: