Epson R800 grease

mike486

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson r800
Anyone know where I can obtain Epson G-70 grease? It is used to lubricate the steel shaft on which the printhead rides in my R800 printer. There is something special about it as all of the lubricants I have tried don't work. They seem to increase friction instead of making for smooth travel of the printhead. It looks like a"Molykote" type grease but the Molykote types I've tried don"t work. Hours on the internet haven't helped either.

Two things I have been able to find out. 1) It's unavailable from Epson. 2) Compass Micro who sells Epson grease said it would cost about $50 for the smallest amount (a large supply) if they had it. Any help to where I could obtain a small amount (1 to 2 grams) would be deeply appreciated as I "love" this printer and would like to repair it.

I would also like to obtain small quantities of G-26 and G-45 greases. While they are available, the large size package exists for these items also. The G-70 is the most important one, but the others would make for perfect repair/rebuild.

A million thanks to anyone who helps me in this dilemma.

Mike.

<mike486@netlink.net>

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Is the Molycote you used a dry lubricant? You might try a light coat of powdered graphite...after cleaning the sliding parts completely.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have successfully used the Molykote EM-30L for lubricating Canon printers, both for the print head guide rail and in other places. I don't know if it is also suitable for Epson printers.

I didn't find a European seller that would supply a small quantity, so I bought the grease form an American E Bay seller.

Here is a discussion about lubricants for Canon printers, but note this post about Epson lubricants. Maybe @Smile has some info about the G-70 grease?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
This reminds me of my noisy R285. The printhead riding from side to side seems to be smooth..
- but there is a screaming sound when the carriage moves up and down, louder than on my other R285.
I have searched and found locations to lubricate in the service manual, but it is difficult to identify these locations in the real printer.
So if someone knows the place where a screaming carrige LIFT (of an epson R285 / artisan P50) should be lubricated - please let me know! Hopefully without dismantling the printer...

mike486

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson r800
Is the Molycote you used a dry lubricant? You might try a light coat of powdered graphite...after cleaning the sliding parts completely.

Thanks for your suggestion, but the grease is not a "dry" lubricant. There are 4 lubricant resovoirs in the printhead, and what remains in them
is a "wet" grease, not dry. In fact, I plan to recover what I can from this and another broken, use for parts one I bought for a previous repair if all else fails. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Hope I may be able to help you sometime.

mike486

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
There is a very light teflon grease sold under the brand of Penn fishing reels, very light and loaded with teflon, available in tiny tubes just about the right size for printer Maint.
Try at your local Fishing Tackle Store ABU also had one as did Shimano.

Good luck