Epson photo L800 whit original CISS system " ink resistance"!

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
I found this polish site, where the L-series seems to be running well:
http://www.druk.medikon.pl/pl/katalog/fotograficzne-drukarki-epson-ciss
No tests of resistance but they are praising the "gamut" of the ink..
(you can download ICC profiles for 3rd party photo paper

Another test site:
http://www.optyczne.pl/15.1-Inne_testy-Test_drukarki_fotograficznej_Epson_L800.html

Unfortunately, it is good example of testing procedure related to feelings rather than measurements :(

Ł.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
peach is indeed a swiss manufacturer of chips and cartrigedes but there is no ink produced or manufactured in swiss beside chocolate :)=

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Yes, L800 inks are not great, unless stored in album in the dark, but most DYE inks are like that. Russians say they take 2 weeks to stabilize !
Then there are problems with dampers that leak air and you have to constantly re-prime them (there is no autoprime features like on office grade MFC from brother).

Well it's one overpriced printer from EPSON that I do not recommend after seeing one in action and after 6 months of reading complaints in Russian forums.

It's nice that EPSON made a printer with CISS system, but then their every printer is different and that is a mistake in engineering altogether. I think if Canon would release anything like this would be way better. Reminds me how I disassembled a C1380 HP printer to find out that :

HP was smart enough to put

a) brush cleaners on timing strip
b) still use metal rod linear rail for print head motion
c) power adapter plug pinout is labeled on power brick, but connector non standard.

However they were stupid enough in every other area:

a) no purge unit of any kind
b) capping station is a joke
c) cleaning unit is a joke too, it makes so much mess the printer was all dirty.
rubber used is like from car windshield wipers.
d) did I mention their cartridges are even smaller than canon?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
@Smile
I have a L300, no "dampers that leak air" (??) here...but..
- the printer i.e. the tubes will suck air instead of ink - if you forget to release the transportation lock .. RTFM ..
- there IS priming .. when install the printer or to replace all ink inside the tubes when changing the ink (avoid that as it fills the waste ink)
- The price is calculated for the printer itself, without the selling of cartridges. Epson is breaking a stupid rule: printers for dumping price, subsidised by exorbitant price for cartridges. This calculation fails because more and more are buying 3rd party cartridges.
Nobody would buy a camera for a dumping price if a hundred photos would cost him more than the cheap device for taking the photos - well somebody would...

I did not read complaints, I have my own:
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...-aka-ciss-product-line.9131/page-2#post-75224

There are pro and con as always.
Biggest disadvantage is no claria in bottles...but if there was claria in bottles - how could epson sell any claria cartridges...?!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
"There are pro and con as always.
Biggest disadvantage is no claria in bottles...but if there was claria in bottles - how could epson sell any claria cartridges...?!"

Why EPSON did not made alternative ink with ink resistance of 50 years then one could argue that it is cheaper made but still 50 years. Now when it's standard to claim 100 years of print permanence even with dye ink like canon claims when you see 4 years on L300 and 17 years on L800 you know it's not worth the price EPSON charges for the inks. The user has option to go pigment ink way if permanence is required or use like InkTec or OCP DYE inks if versatility is required. Remember L printers do not have gloss optimizer so if one chooses to use pigment inks they must have separate printer to coat the photos later.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
No more can somebody claim that print longevity is guaranteed if using OEM inks.
EPSON just broke this rule once and for all. One can say EPSON brand does not equal quality inks.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
No more can somebody claim that print longevity is guaranteed if using OEM inks.
EPSON just broke this rule once and for all. One can say EPSON brand does not equal quality inks.
The epson bottled ink may compromise the image of the epson brand for ink/cartridges.

(edit) but who really cares...only a few...and these few know the difference..

I don't think there is a "rule" or "guarantee" for longevity...only promises..more or less kept in practice..
...when you see 4 years on L300 and 17 years on L800 you know...
Do you have a link for this? (edit: you got this probably from the same source):
I have read of different longevity for L300 and L800 too (in the test on wilhelm-research)

- Now this is strange as it would imply that the ink sets are different...but they have the same stock numbers for C-M-Y-K...!?

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes my info is from wilhelm-research too.