Epson artisan 810 continuous ink

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
With these CIS systems you need to be sure to print a full color document at least once a week. I recommend even printing on the photo setting, doesn't have to be on photo paper, just plain on the photo setting is fine, to give those light cyan and light magenta nozzles a workout. This will prevent clogs which is really important on the models with remote ink cartridges like on the Artisan 7xx/8xx series.

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
CPM said:
I can't help you with the exact model but I recently purchased one on eBay in the US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CISSwith-Inkset...t=BI_Toner&hash=item2eb01093e3#ht_5172wt_1082

I just installed it yesterday and so far it works great. First photo printed was perfect!

It looks very similar to one of the ones you are looking at.

My main priority was using great quality ink and I believe/hope I have. Ink is the absolute key.

Regards
please let me know if it's good to buy. do you see any ink leaks?

CPM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No leaks at all. Of course, its only been a few days. The actual CIS system looks like it's basically foolproof.

The reason I mentioned ink is that I have used non-OEM ink in the past with 2 different printers and both printers eventually wound up with totally clogged heads. About $1000 down the drain.

I had almost given up printing photos and for the past few years and have had a local store print them. I still do for anything over 8x10 size.

I will not pay the outrageous ink prices that printer manufactures want. I personally think that if a major manufacture were to make a printer with large ink cartridges that sell for a reasonable price, well, that manufacturer would probably take over the market.

I will post another note in a week or so to follow up on the CIS. I love printing now, whereas I used to dread it.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
CPM said:
I personally think that if a major manufacture were to make a printer with large ink cartridges that sell for a reasonable price, well, that manufacturer would probably take over the market.
We'll see soon enough in Indonesia with the L100 printer if an OEM CISS will turly take over the market. But in more wealthy countries where refilling isn't as widespread and a majority aren't willing to put in the time and effort to learn to refill and generics are a cheaper alternative I don't see extra large cartridges taking over. In fact it's gone the other way around. Cartridges keep getting smaller and smaller. They used to be generally bigger on the good printers. But the lazy public is fooled into buying smaller cartridges because they don't print a lot, they don't print a lot because they're afraid of ink costs. So printer manufacturers do what's called "right-sizing", not good for the higher volume printer users but definitely more profitable as long as people are willing to buy their cartridges.

And in general the US population has been fooled into thinking that OEM ink is worth it, you know with 200 year print life***** you gotta add in all those asterisks because it's not a fair test and they didn't really compare it to other inks. It's been my experience that paper seems to be more important than ink when it comes to fade. But people buy into all the advertising. I'm just happy I can buy a printer so cheap because of all the hype and the razor and blades business model. So I refill and get the best of both worlds, cheap printer and cheap ink.

CPM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Haven't heard of the L100 printer. I tried refilling a few years ago and thought it was too much of a hassle. I truly hope my CIS works well gong into the future.

The razor blade analogy is very true. I bought the Artisan 810 direct from Epson for $129.00 with free shipping ( and standard cartridges). That is a lot of hardware for a small price. But buying just 5 color cartridges on Amazon is $58.00. What a joke (not Amazon, but Epson).

I have bought 2 smaller printers in the past just for the ink. Two HP printers. The net cost, after deducting the value of the ink, were $0 and $25.00.

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ok i have ordered this cis....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISS-Continuo...ng_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&hash=item53e3af503c

it's cheaper from the piano book. i hope it will work ok...

now can you tell me which installation for the cis is the best from my printer? (px820fwd)

this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G40lXEsRw00&feature=related

or this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3r1XfDqkeM&feature=related

also i have a question about the inks....

what's the difference between dye based ink and pigment ink?

what should i use for my office? i don't need to print photos.... maybe once a year... :)
i just need it for printing documents....

CPM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The second video looks like a good way.

The printer uses dye inks. Do not order pigment inks.

Congratulations on your purchase. You just saved a LOT of money.

Regards

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
CPM said:
The second video looks like a good way.

The printer uses dye inks. Do not order pigment inks.

Congratulations on your purchase. You just saved a LOT of money.

Regards
are you sure about the installation? it seems to me that the first one covers my needs because i'll use the cis and the printer for my office and i don't the tubes to be visible to anyone....i'am also thinking to put the cis behind the printer. not to the right

CPM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
You should set it up the way that works best for you. With this printer you can have the tubes leave the printer from the front or the back. It's your choice.

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i just ordered the artisan 810. i am also waiting for my continuous ink system. something i would also like to ask is, should i use the inks that will come in the package or install instantly the continuous ink system and sell the inks that will come in the package?