Epson 2200 Initial Impressions

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
So I got a new toy! (Wife was ALMOST going to kill me! I told her I'd sell one of my NIB MP560s :p )

I was browsing my local classifieds (I know, bad thing to do!!!) and I found a very nicely cared for Epson Stylus Photo 2200 for $60. It included refillable cartridges and an almost full ConeColor K3 series inkset! (These cost around $250!) The printer initially shipped with the K2 series inks but the K3 inks are supposed to improve the gamut.

This is an "old-school" 13" format pigment printer released in about 2002. It has 7-inks in the printer at any one time (M or P Black, Light Black, Magenta, Light Magenta, Cyan, Light Cyan, & Yellow), with the ability to swap between Matt & Photo black inks. It has large by today's standards 4 pl nozzles, and judging by the print speed it doesn't have very many of them!

This is my first attempt at a full color pigment printer. I plugged it in, did a nozzle check, and fired off a test image print. I learned quickly that my HP paper does NOT like pigment ink! In the heavier colored areas the ink pooled a bit on top of the paper. Luckily, the Kirkland paper seems to work pretty well. Without a dedicated profile the colors and saturation were a bit off.

I then set off to generate a custom profile with Profile Prism 7.0 to correct the colors. The printout is now pretty nice! It does look a bit different than my Pro9000. The colors seems a little bit "flatter". The gamut isn't quite as good (About 5% less available colors according to Profile Prism) but the colors still look good to the eye, even when comparing prints side by side to the Pro9000. Metamerism isn't that bad with this inkset and paper, definitely not something I worry about. Unless I look really close I can't see the 4 pl droplets, so I don't consider them to be a big problem either.

Another side note... this printer is SLOW!!! I guess that my Pro9000 has spoiled me. I didn't time the two printouts but I would guess that the Canon on highest quality vs. the Epson on 2880dpi and High Speed Printing (Bi-Directional) that the Canon is about six times faster. This isn't a big problem for me as I'm not going to be printing out hundreds of sheets on a regular basis but I was surprised at the difference in speed.

It will be nice to be able to print "archival" photos at home. I will still use my Pro9000 and other printers for the higher volume day to day stuff, but if I'm going to print a portrait to put on the wall or to give to friends or family it will be printed on this printer from now on! :)

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Quick update:

After playing with the driver a bunch (different paper, ink density settings) and generating various profiles I think that I've reached the max. that this printer can do with glossy photo paper.

I've found that it is not possible to get as deep of colors (especially black) on glossy photo paper with this printer as I can with my dye printers. The depth increases all the way up to the point were the ink starts to pool on the paper (too much! :eek: ) . I've found a decent combination now for the glossy paper. Someday I'll have to get some matte/fine art style papers to play with as that's where I hear that the pigment printers really shine.

I think that it was a good investment at the price I paid as it is in perfect condition and I have a lot of ink, but the profile Pro9000 still blows it away as far as photo quality is concerned (at least on glossy papers). That said, I am happy with it's archival properties. The pictures are also VERY moisture resistant (dare I say proof?!?) I left a sheet of photo paper soaking in water for five minutes, then while running it under water tried to scrub the picture with my fingers. The result? The picture still looks perfect! Cool!

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thank you for posting -
it is always interesting to read about dinosaurs in good condition to compare with state-of-the-art models.

by the way: profiling with profile prism 7 works with a flatbed scanner not a colorimeter, right?
Is it similar to profiling with vuescan? I did not manage to profile my printer with the vuescan method, very bad results (if any results)

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Yes, it works with a flatbed scanner. I have had pretty good luck with it on 4-5 printers. The profiles for this printer also look pretty good to me. The problem that I think that most people run into is getting a good scan. You really need a high quality scanner and scan software (I use Vuescan) to make it work. I followed the instruction step by step (calibration, RAW output, etc.) and do a 4-5 pass scan. Without a good scan, you are not feeding the program accurate information. I suspect that many people have attempted to use Profile Prism with a cheaper scanner or without following the instructions and have not had very much luck with it.

I took a gamble with it and I have been very satisfied with the Program. I was not happy with the aftermarket inks output with my papers vs. the OEM setup. It is probably not the absolute best out there, but for me as an amateur it is working well.

I have not tried the Vuescan method... it seems like it would not be as accurate as the Profile Prism. I will have to give it a try sometime and compare (I have a folder with TONS of test printouts from the various profiles I've generated. I keep notes on all of them).

Leonardjohn

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
To many to list
Thank you for the post.

This is my old gray mare......

I still use my Epson 2200 as a back-up pigment printer.

Great for roll paper

The add-on cutter has worked great for all my panorama shots up to six foot wide. ( 13 inch by 6 foot wide, wow )

You are right about being slow, but it has always worked ......

thanks
Leonard

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Well... I guess that my fun is over. The Epson 2200 fried itself tonight. I have printed probably 400-500 photos (some 4x6, some 8x10). Today I printed about 20 4x6s, then 2-3 8x10s following that. It got about 90% through the last 8x10 when the printer stopped communicating with the computer.

I shut down the printer, unplugged it, and plugged it back in. It recognized again so I tried to reprint. It acted like it was printing but ink was coming out of the printhead. It was then that I noticed a faint electrical/plastic burning smell. I turned off the printer and pulled out the cartridges. A very faint amount of smoke was coming out from under the printhead. I guess it's toast!

If anyone needs some 60%+ full 4oz bottles of Cone Colors K3 pigment ink (Well over $150 worth) and/or refillable cartridges please let me know, I'd hate to see them go to waste. $30 + shipping costs.

mahiney

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Have you gotten rid of the inks by now? It's been a while, thought I'd check tho...

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Mahiney,

I still have the inks. Here are the approximate levels in the 4 oz. bottles:

Photo Black: 80%
Matt Black: 70%
Light Black: 60%
Yellow: 40%
Magenta: 35%
Light Magenta: 40%
Cyan: 60%
Light Cyan: 35%

Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!