Durchstich refill method filling half way, then no more

cspeter8

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I have prtty good luck with my canon 220/221 cartridges in black, magenta and yellow but the cyan color just wont go more than half way full. No matter how slowly I inject or how long I wait, it just bubbles out the opening the needle went in, or the top vent opening, or the bottom ink delivery opening. Same thing happens with my other cyan ink cartridge.

I did a search on this but didn't find anything. sorry if this is answered already; I could not find it.

thanks

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
In my experience whenever this starts happening there is a clog somewhere in the cartridge that needs to be fixed. Either the foam is clogged and needs to be purged or the air vent maze on the top of the cartridge has become clogged.

Here is a post that should show you how to easily purge your cartridges by Stratman:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=38244#p38244

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Try drying out the sponge a bit by sucking some ink from it and then continue refilling as before. You accomplish this by having the needle sit in the sponge area and then slowly vacuum with syringe...just take out a bit. I have seen this happen when the cartridge is being refilled when the tank is partially full and the sponge is still full of ink. It has worked before for some, maybe it will in this case.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Both advices are good but, Peter, does your cyan cartridge work as it is ?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
Try drying out the sponge a bit by sucking some ink from it and then continue refilling as before. You accomplish this by having the needle sit in the sponge area and then slowly vacuum with syringe...just take out a bit. I have seen this happen when the cartridge is being refilled when the tank is partially full and the sponge is still full of ink. It has worked before for some, maybe it will in this case.
Thanks for this tip! I'll try this out next time before going for the full purge.