Does this make sense?

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
While I've refilled an HP 98 & 95 cart, I've not yet refilled a cart in my MP990 printer with 220/221 carts. I did like irvweiner's idea for a toothpick dip stick method to refill and wanted to run this by ink refiller masters to be sure it makes sense. I've read a lot here and I want to make sure I'm on track to successful refilling with my thoughts on a refilling methodology. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Here's my suggested method:

1. Reset chip of a flushed, dried OEM cartridge, or a cart that the machine has just warned is low on ink.
2. Place the original oem orange clip on the bottom to seal the outlet hole and use a rubber band to better secure the clip to the cart.
3. With an awl pry out the round ball in the cartridge inlet hole.
4. Take a toothpick and measure the distance between the bottom of the cart and up to about 1/8 inch to the top inlet hole.
5. Refill the cart half way up the reservoir side of the cart watching the ink rise in the carts clear window, then close the top vent hole above the sponge area with your finger tightly,
then fill up to the top of the clear window. Take another toothpick to measure the ink level and match the amount of ink in the reservoir to what the original toothpick (dipstick)
measurement shows. Add more ink if necessary.
6. Once a match of ink to the dipstick is accomplished, plug the inlet hole immediately with a lipped silicone (versus flat) plug.
7. Remove the rubber band and orange clip.
8. Set the refilled cartridge on a paper towel for about 5 minutes to be sure it does not drip.
9. If its the first time to ever refill: I will make sure the lipped plug clears the printers sidewalls. To do this, watch the print head seat in the center location and turn off the power to the
printer. Now, the print head is movable.
10. Now place the refilled, plugged cart into the machine. Move the print head left and right to see if it clears the sidewalls of the printer. If it does not clear using the lipped plugs,
remove those and use the flat plugs. (I'd prefer to use the lipped plugs if possible)
11. Turn on the power....print away.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
It looks like you have done your homework really well Inka. I have no knowledge of your 220/221 cartridges but your list seems to have everything covered, well done. The only thing I would suggest is for point number 11, I think it's always best after refilling to print a nozzle check first before printing a photo. This makes sure your refilled cartridge is not starving the print head of ink as it could burn out part of the head if you print a full photo with no ink coming out of the refilled cartridge. I've read here that printing a nozzle check won't harm your print head if no ink flows from your refilled cartride.

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Inkadinkado: I think you're on the right track. On step 3, prying the round ball with an awl will probably be easier if you melt a "starter" hole first. Heat the tip of the awl in the flame of a cigarette lighter or candle and carefully melt a hole about the half the depth of the ball. Don't touch the sides. Let the awl cool, then pry the ball out with the awl. On step 4 & 5, I refer you to a good idea submitted by Geklingel. Steps 7-11 are right on. I recommend buying refill/storage clips from Precision Colors ($1.00 ea.) to replace the OEM orange clip. Good Luck.

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you rodbam and emerald.
I've added your suggestions to my saved refill page with these great added steps, products, and ideas.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inkadinkado If it does not clear using the lipped plugs,
remove those and use the flat plugs. (I'd prefer to use the lipped plugs if possible)
In step 10, it would be advisable to mention that before attempting to remove the lipped silicone plug
that you remember to refit the orange clip back on to the cartridge first to prevent it leaking all over the place.
I did like irvweiner's idea for a toothpick dip stick method to refill and wanted to run this by ink refiller masters to be sure it makes sense.
I've read a lot here and I want to make sure I'm on track to successful refilling with my thoughts on a refilling methodology.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Here's my suggested method:
Irvweiners method with the toothpick is a useful idea but a little bit unnecessary with the 220/221s window cartridges
I would think as the ink is clearly visible in them..

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tha Hat:

Thanks for your tips. As you've advised, I've changed my methodology to include adding the orange clip back to the cartridge if I need to change out the lipped plug for the flat one.
And, I had realized after buying some virgin carts off Ebay that with the window I wouldn't need the dip stick method, nor would I need to weigh the cart to get the weight of the ink inside. Just visibly fill the cart. If Canon thinks they can deter us from refilling by making the carts totally opaque, we will all most likely top fill using the dipstick or weighing method to refill accurately. Both systems sound like winners. And, if they make the chips weird we'll all just figure out a way to change the chips or make a new resetter. Where there is a will there is a way, right?

Thanks again, Hat.