Diy Black Ink

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It does work. That's how 3-color printers like Pixma iP3000 make photo black. I think the printhead can mix colors more accurately than one can do using syringes. I did an experiment with a little no-name refill ink for HP. My result was a very dark bluish color, so a little more yellow and magenta might correct the error.

Maybe the idea of this is mixing your own photo black if you need it now to do a refill and you are out of photo black?

If you want to darken the ink do not add pigment black.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I don't think it's really the same. My own observation for two specific brands is that photo black is quite unstable in light--much more so than the individual colors. Also, printers may use composite black, which is three colors in separate dots, instead of photo black. It may be possible to get a more neutral black or gray with a composite.

The bottom line, however, is that a do-it-yourself mixture of three colors would probably be superior in all respects to the photo blacks that I have!

EDIT: I think a moderator has split this thread off from another. I don't know what this post was replying to.