Computer designed for Photoprocessing?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That’s it I’m convinced, and besides your all such a pushy lot that I decided to mark a SSD drive in for purchase in the New Year, and if it friggs up, I’ll know exactly who to blame. o_O
Samsung has extended their 850 Pros to ten (10) years and that is telling of the reliability that they think these drives can provide.
@mikling I don’t know about the drive but I’d love a ten year warrantee myself.. :old

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Granted. Just slow down the head, so pressure and temperatures don't build up. Occasionally take yourself on a head clean routine and then do a noggin check each week. I also understand that purging can be helpful but bring along your potty as you'll need it. Some clean sheets of paper will also be helpful in that area..unless you resort to rubber wiper blades for cleaning up the undersides. The alternative is to use the freedom method where vacuuming can clear up the insides in which case purging will not be necessary. However when doing so, perform an extended nozzle test via the aid of the advanced service tool.
In all cases, stay out of the sun because UV will cause accelerated aging and also when exposed, bundle up as ozone is not that good for aging as well. Also when travelling outdoors, don't forget the capping station as you don't want your head exposed to the environment.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck

Oh noes! I can't get the image of The Hat squeegeeing himself. Brain bleach, STAT!

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I think the head is slowing down on its own after some time ... but you could speed up purging by using the german method, if you really need to..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Oh, about the paper. You'll find that matte works better than glossy. Glossy will tend to smudge a lot!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Gees, you certainly got a lot with your guarantee these days.. :D
I don’t know if I’ll use the wiper blades dough.. :hide

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
That’s it I’m convinced, and besides your all such a pushy lot that I decided to mark a SSD drive in for purchase in the New Year, and if it friggs up, I’ll know exactly who to blame.
I have 5 Terabytes written to the Samsung 840 Pro without errors per SMART info. As to longevity of the drive, it could fail tomorrow just like any drive no matter the technology. However, based on the design of my SSD with MLC chips, I will more likely replace the drive before it fails.

Hypothetically, given my present rate of data writes to the drive over one year, and based on the SMART drive info specifically a "Wear Leveling Count" of "99" out of 100 (36 out of 3000 P/E Cycles) for those interested, my drive may out live me, you, your children and possibly your grandchildren -- potentially 90+ years more life! I certainly do not expect the drive to last that long, but another 4+ years (the remaining warranty period) is not unreasonable and well within my typical upgrade/replacement time frame.

The new 850 is designed for significantly longer life. I have read that the older Samsung 840 Pro may last up to ~70-100 Terabytes of data writes. The new Samsung 850 Pro has the potential for ~150 Terabytes of data writes! Given that I have ~5 Terabytes of data written to the drive in one year, at my current rate it will take 13+ years to reach the limits for my drive and over 25 years for the Samsung 850 Pro.

While this is hypothetical in some respects, real world torture tests have supported these calculations. For instance the following link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand

Get yourself a good quality SSD like a Samsung and return the Velociraptor. Your ears will thank you and you will be delighted with how fast things load and the speed images are manipulated. Then use a traditional HDD for storage and back up images of the SSD.

If you really want to splurge, buy two SSD's and have your son set them up in RAID or else use the second to back up a mirror image of the first. This way, you will have even less fear of a failed SSD because the copy can be used to keep going fairly effortlessly.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
If you really want to splurge, buy two SSD's and have your son set them up in RAID or else use the second to back up a mirror image of the first. This way, you will have even less fear of a failed SSD because the copy can be used to keep going fairly effortlessly.
This and the performance testing link supplied by @mikling has got me thinking and investigating.....

First, the specification I posted has a Corsair SSD, the Quote I had was for a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB. Mikes post had me backtracking to find that the Builder has two strikes against him......1) he simply substituted the Corsair because the 840 EVO was not available, AFTER I told and confirmed in writing that there was no hurry, and 2) He quoted a normal EVO, not the PRO I requested, so

My solution, add the PRO and do as @stratman suggests and set them up in raid, obviously it would have been better to have two EVO's but at the cost of PRO's here the one is an eye watering addition anyway. :hit:th

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Having read miklings quoted article, it looks as though my Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), which has so far written 0.54Tbytes, will out live me.
The SSD torture test article has been updated and there are only two drives left in the competition: Samsung 840 Pro and the Kingston HyperX 3K. This is after 1.5 PETABYTES of write/erases have been done!!!!

(http://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb)

(What is a Petabyte: http://www.whatsabyte.com/)

The Samsung 840 Evo dropped out after 900 Terabytes - pretty darned good IMO considering I've written (only) 5 Terabytes in one year!

Samsung makes good SSD drives, whether the Evo or the Pro.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@3dogs:

Sorry to hear your supplier tried the old switcheroo on you. Maybe the Corsair is a good drive?

Are you going for a RAID with 2 Samsung 840 Pro's? That would be sweet. I get along great with my 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro for the OS and image/video manipulation. I have a couple of traditional HDD in the desktop case for data storage as well a a couple HDD's not installed for backups or media storage. I use a second 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro as a clone of the OS drive which is cloned via a Theraltake BlacX docking station with O&O Disk Image. Off course you can also back up an image of the OS to a HDD. Easy breezy, though a RAID would be optimal.