Computer designed for Photoprocessing?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thanks you guys, it's very much appreciated and these SSD’s do look very inviting but I am still very hesitant to trust them. :oops:

I know the old hard drive is slower but I also know it won’t bugger up on me just when I least expect it to and the only gaming I will do on this thing will be on DosBox and that ain’t going to stress it. (Will it) :eek:

I reckon I’ll let you guys test these SSD’s for a few more years before I dip my toe in the water, I’ll have my other computer to upgrade by then and may venture into getting one of these fancy SSD on that running Win 10 :)

I have decided to reload Win 7 on this new computer for now and will upgrade my other computer from Vista to Win 8 over the Christmas, that way I will be able to see if all of my printers will work properly. :hu

@stratman the SSD you recommended is the same price as the VelociRaptor, so no savings there even with the discount.. :mad:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Having read miklings quoted article, it looks as though my Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), which has so far written 0.54Tbytes, will out live me.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I have a couple of VeociRaptors that have been running for around three to five years, cant remember which.....I cap them at 75% capacity then move data out so as not to overload. They are running alongside a hybrid designed for laptop use, Seagate Momentus 500gb.......so far no issues with either.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Having read miklings quoted article, it looks as though my Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), which has so far written 0.54Tbytes, will out live me.
I have over 5 Terabytes written on my 250 GB Samsung 840 Pro. She's as sweet as the first day I met her.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I am still very hesitant to trust them. :oops:
I know it killed you to give up your horse and buggy for the mechanical contraption we call cars, but, the tests have been done already on SSD's. They are not like the older models at all. Just choose wisely, maybe get the Samsung 840 Pro like I have - 5 year warranty, which is longer than most every hard drive. I have over 5 Terabytes on my SSD and she is purring like a kitten. You can monitor for errors on the drive to foretell potential issues similar to a HDD. Besides, you can back up your drive... like we should all be doing regardless. I used to use WD Raptors but would not go back.

I have decided to reload Win 7 on this new computer for now and will upgrade my other computer from Vista to Win 8 over the Christmas, that way I will be able to see if all of my printers will work properly. :hu
So you are going to dip your toe in the Windows 8.x stream? Good on ya! It is an excellent performing OS, despite the Metrosexual, um, I mean Metro tiled interface. I boot to the traditional desktop and rarely see the Metro interface except to play solitaire.

The only thing I have not been able to get rid of completely is the Charm Bar on the right side of the screen without resorting to an aftermarket application. I do not care about a traditional Start Menu, having made desktop icons and quick launch icons for access, though you can get the traditional Start Menu with either free or payware applications. It will take some time to bend Windows 8 to your will, but I have always had to wrestle with a new OS to get it where I like it.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Quite a number of mfrs have a 5 year warranty on their higher end drives now.
You can cherry pick with "higher end drives". However, most consumer desktop hard disk drives have less than 5 years warranty nowadays. Seagate - 3 year according to their web site. Western Digital - yes on Black and some Red drives but not the bulk of their consumer line. Hitachi - yes for mostly Enterprise HDD's which is not a typical consumer grade HDD.

Completely agree with you about the Samsung 850 Pro -- she's a beauty! :drool

"... the 850 Pro comes with 10-year warranty simply because Samsung is very confident of the drive’s endurance which exceeds 150TB worth of data written to the drive in its entire lifetime (or 80GB per day for five consecutive years)."

http://www.custompcguide.net/compare-samsung-850-pro-versus-840-evo-and-840-ssd-series/

Wow! :bow