CISS for Epson Workforce 1100?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I'd like to fit a CISS on Epson Workforce 1100. A search for "1100 CISS" seems to show that could be problematic. Any comment on what is the best way to approach reducing ink costs?

Wayne

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If you're willing to switch to dye base inks it'll work fine. Most people who have trouble are ones trying to switch their pigment printers to pigment CISS. Generally these inks may have trouble with settling in the tanks. The cartridges in the print carriage are agitated by the back and forth motion so they don't settle.

Dye base avoids that and you should have no trouble with it aside from the fact that with CISS you need to print at least every few days often to prevent clogs.

dallds

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a Epson Workforce 600 that I installed a CIS. It worked fine the first time. The next day the machine did not reconize cartriges (4) I emailed Epson but recieved no help, As Epson don't manufacture this. Has enybody
else had this problem?

TheTonerGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I hate CISS systems in general because of the reasons pointed out by qwertydude and because the idea of having tanks sticking out of a printer with ribbon cable tubes connected to cartridges never turned me on. If anything goes wrong you have a real mess on your hands. One thing fails, the whole system fails. Furthermore, you have to modify your printer, break off plastic parts and install brackets.

This is why I recommend refillable cartridges with auto reset chips instead to all my customers. Unless someone is printing 1000's of pages a month, it would really be hard to justify. For the high volume users, sure get a CISS. But for regular everyday printing, refillable cartridges work super well and they work very well with pigmented inks too. The ONLY advise I give people who use pigmented ink is to give the ink a few hours to settle when you refill the cartridges for the first time. I find that it is hard to get a clean nozzle check pattern if the ink has recently been agitated.

One more point, the Workforce 1100 is basically the same cartridge set at the popular T069 series with an extra black cartridge. Many Refillable cartridge or CISS sellers do not carry this 5 cartridge model. If you decide to get refillable cartridges and have trouble finding a good website that stocks them, then please let me know and I will assist you.

TheTonerGuy

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Thanx! I've elected to switch to refillable carts with auto-reset chips. I intend to use dye inks from Hobbicolors or IS inks (I have both for my Canons). I just don't print enough to justify a CISS...

One question...doesn't the motion of the printhead do something to keep the pigment inks suspended??

Wayne

TheTonerGuy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Quality pigment inks are properly dispersed and do not suspend or sink to the bottom or anything like that. A good ink stays uniformly mixed and is stable. Furthermore, a good ink have the right viscosity and surface tension to work well with your system. Most importantly a good pigment ink will be filtered to ensure that the pigment particles are small enough not to cause clogging.

If you let the ink settle in the cartridge so that all the air bubbles from the initial refilling are gone, a few nozzle cleanings and you will be fine. If you have trouble getting a good nozzle check pattern or trouble maintaining a good nozzle check pattern when you print, then you probably do not have a good ink.

You owe it to yourself to make sure that the ink you are buying is formulated for use in your EPSON printer and that it is manufactured by a reputable company which is preferable in the USA, Canada or Europe. I have trouble trusting anything else.

TheTonerGuy