Canon service tool v2000

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, this post is directed to peterbj but anybody who has the answer is welcome to comment. I recently used service tool v3200 on my pixma mg5250 just as a trial run.
Using only the bottom button ink absorber set I reset from 13% to 10%, on printing the eeprom the absorber D= did indeed change from 13% to 10% as expected.
The DF= value changed from 6 to 9, the sevice manual I have (mg5220) the USA version of my printer states that the absorber pads should be replaced when the life counter (DF:) drops below 24! I dont quite know what to make of this counter it doesnt seem to change value if you dont use the printer and I read somewhere that its initial value should be 1000. I dont know if the ink counter set button affects the DF= value as I didnt use it on the trial run. Strange as just using the ink absorber reset did change the DF= life value as well, mystified????:idunno

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As I don't have one of these printers, I cannot do any tests. My older printers don't have the DF value. But I think this may work:

Reset the D value to zero as if you had changed the absorbers. Hopefully this will bring the DF value back to the initial value. Then preset the D value to 10%. Hopefully this won't bring the the DF value back to 9.

I think that the D value is what is important, and probably your printer won't shut down before D=100 is reached. The DF value is an estimated value based on printer usage, calculated by an unknown algorithm. I think its purpose is only to give the service technician a clue to whether absorber replacement will be needed in the near future. I think the DF value may be ignored.

But if this doesn't work to bring up the DF value, I suggest to ignore it and just print. Time will then tell if the DF value matters or not. I think this is the only way to find out.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
As I don't have one of these printers, I cannot do any tests. My older printers don't have the DF value. But I think this may work..........................................
o.k, but what puzzles me is why 2 absorber resets. i only used the button numbered 3 and it altered the D= and the DF= values. what purpose does the button numbered 2 serve? :idunno

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
just sussed how v3200 works, i've just used the button marked 2 to reset ink counter and it spat out an eeprom readout instantly with D=000.0 and DF=01000. i then used button 3 and set the % to 20% i then had to click button 1 for readout which was D=020.0% DF=00004
i beleive to completely reset the absorber counter only button 2 is necessary, i think button 3 is when the service engineer has cleared the eeprom and wants to reinstate the original reading if he has not changed the pads.
:weee

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
10294_service_tool_eeprom_use.jpg

this is the amended eeprom use, use button 2 to reset absorber D= and DF= and printout all in one click make sure you have paper loaded in cassette and rear tray.
only need to use button 3 if you wish to reinstate a previous reading that was above zero%, in fact it is impossible to use buttons 2 and 3 in conjuction with each other because as soon as you click set on button 2 a printout will take place.

service tool v3200 link.
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...X&ei=T1kKUb-_CMXP0QWmx4HYCw&ved=0CHYQ7gEwCTgK

F

FastForward

Thanks Pix, you have flushed out a pile of useful info for us MG model printer users. I look forward to your future posts.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
FastForward said:
Thanks Pix, you have flushed out a pile of useful info for us MG model printer users. I look forward to your future posts.
you're welcome mate, i just love it when we find ways of getting round manufacturers restrictive attempts to force expensive services upon us when it is well within the scope of the average user and also the fact that servicing generally costs more than replacing the printer. Where's the green principal in that, they obviously don't give a toss about landfill!

:weee

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi pix,
which is the firmware version of your MG5250?

Mine is EUR V1.010

Is there a way to update it?

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Radeon89 said:
Hi pix,
which is the firmware version of your MG5250
hi, if you're talking about the printer firmware my 5250 eeprom readout says eur v1.050. i dont know where to get an update from and you'd have to be careful that you dont load in thw wrong one and crock your printer.
i assume you've tried looking on canon sites for firmware updates.

just found this http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...series/PIXMA_MG5250.aspx?type=download&page=1 but when you click on firmware says no dice.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
pixmania

I am at a loss as to why you need to reset your counters,
did you get a nudge from your printer first or are you just seeing how it works.

Can you explain please.. :th