Canon service tool v2000

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the newer versions of the service tool support more printers. The newer versions also run under both 32 and 64 bit windows, the older versions only run under 32 bit windows.

But I have a suspicion that the service tools do not support 2 cartridge printers. Another service tool named iP Tool might be needed. I have not looked very much into this as I have no Canon 2 cartridge printer. Here are some links suggesting that an iP Tool might be needed: http://tricks-collections.com/reset-ink-level-on-canon-pixma-ip1800-using-iptool-software/ http://tricks-collections.com/reset-canon-ip1880-ip-1100-ip1800-and-ip2500-series/ http://tricks-collections.com/iptool-canon-printer/

If you find a solution, please post your results.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
The V2000 and older versions only work with 32 bit Windows. The newer versions 3200 and 3400 also work with 64 bit Windows. Maybe this is the explanation?
Yep, you were right he was running win 7 64 bit so thats why v1.050 didnt work.:ya

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pixmania said:
PeterBJ said:
Tudor wrote:

.....Also, are you sure his printer was in ServiceMode when he used the software?
:thumbsup

some more info on my brothers attempt to waste ink reset on his mg6150, v1.050 just wouldn't work he kept getting error 06. So he decided to try the v3200 which prints out the eeprom on my mg5250 and bingo it functioned perfectly the first time. So you mg6150 users take heed v3200 is the one for you.
Strange though using v3200 on my mg5250 the top line of the eeprom printout reads EUR V1.050 which i gather indicates firmware version???
Could you please tell me how you entered inside the service mode of your Canon Pixma MG5250?

Thanks in advance

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess this question is for pixmania?

But I think I can also answer it.

The MG5250 and the MG5220 are very similar, the MG5250 is the European version and the MG5220 is the American version of the same printer.

You find a service manual for the MG5220 here: http://elektrotanya.com/canon_pixma-mg5220_sm.pdf/download.html See page 43/62 and on for service mode operations,

Downloading files from electrotanya can be a little tricky, as it often is with ad sponsored download sites. I have had a few complaints, so here is an instruction.

The trick is to find the right link to click, It is often hard to find. When opening the link you see something like this, note the text under the image of the manual, click to enlarge:

After some time the the text changes, the Get Manual is the proper link. Also note recommended browsers, click to enlarge:

Avoid any other links on the site, they will only download unwanted stuff.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer, I'll try in that way.

Anyway, it seems that the most interesting thing inside the service mode is the possibility to reset the ink absorber, Am I right?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Yes you are.

Another useful thing is the extended nozzle check which you can also print out from service mode. This is better than the usual nozzle check from user mode for diagnosing print head problems.

And EEPROM printout will tell you a lot about the printer's history. See post #47.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Radeon89 said:
pixmania said:
Could you please tell me how you entered inside the service mode of your Canon Pixma MG5250?
Thanks in advance
Right with printer off press and hold the red triangle cancel button, still holding cancel press and hold the power on button till the green led lights. when the green power led lights release the red triangle button but still hold the power button in. then with the power button still held press and release the red triangle button 5 times. the led will cycle between green and orange with each press. after releasing the 5th press of red triangle you can then release the power button. when you do this the printer should fire up with a blank lcd screen, i also get a message saying device not installed correctly (printer) thats o.k just ignore it. you should now be in service mode.
now you can use the v3200 software, there are 2 absorber resets my brother just used the bottom one and set the drop down to 0%. when he checked afterwards by using eeprom printout the d= was 0% and the df= was reset to 1000. the instructions i had said to use both resets but it seems that may not be necessary. note you should remove the casing and wash and dry the absorber pads carefully not print on regardless.
o.k. px

:thumbsup

service tool v3200 link:
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...X&ei=T1kKUb-_CMXP0QWmx4HYCw&ved=0CHYQ7gEwCTgK

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
octoinkjet doesn't at the moment produce a waste ink tank mod kit. for pixma mg5250. has anybody done a diy version for this printer as surely an external collect tank and relevant tubing cant be that difficult to improvise. have successfully mod'd this printer or know of a retail waste ink kit?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pixmania said:
octoinkjet doesn't at the moment produce a waste ink tank mod kit. for pixma mg5250. has anybody done a diy version for this printer as surely an external collect tank and relevant tubing cant be that difficult to improvise. have successfully mod'd this printer or know of a retail waste ink kit?
I've taken your interest to heart and maybe you won't be the only one interested in this sort of thing...

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61523#p61523

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
well today i bit the bullet and ran service tool v3200 on my pixma mg5250. i only used the bottom absorber reset and set it from 13% to 10% so as to confirm it altered. on printing out the eeprom the d= value changed from 13% to 10% and the df= changed from 6 to 9. so to reset the absorber counter and the life value you only need to reset the bottom button, the one with the drop down % menu. not sure how the df= works, maybe at d=0% the df= reads 10?? anyway i can now confirm this tool works on mg5250 and mg6150.
next phase will be to install a waste ink tank in this machine, which will require quite a bit of case dissassembly. but once its done resets will be easy with no pad to clean.
px.