Canon Pro 10S Purchase advice please

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
I've been offered a lightly used 2021 Canon Pro 10s with approximately 200/300 prints being printed however there are 4 cartridge's which are flashing red indicating replace ink for sometime (Magenta Cyan PCyan Chroma Optimizer)

1/ My question what can I do to check for any printhead blockages (or any other issues) without installing new carts as I don't really want to waste funds if there's an issue ?

2/ Is there a trick which will enable the printer to attempt to print a nozzle check even in black and white ?

3/ Also the seller says they have only been using her iPad to print photos I was under the impression you need to install all the drivers using a PC/Mac before you can use the WIFI functionality etc.

4/ I'm due to check the printer on Thursday hopefully someone can offer some pointers on the things I should check to ensure I don't indeed buy another brick as I already have one with my Pro 1!!

5/ The logical reason to purchase the Pro10S to reharvest my Pro 1 inks as I have quite a lot of paper and a complete set sealed Pro 1 inks hence the logic on buying the Pro 10 S. Is this a wise move or is it more trouble than its worth ?

6/ The price of the printer is £150 the seller is throwing in genuine Canon Matt black cart and some Canon paper she bought when she bought it in 2021 however I just need all your guys advice if its worth it and help me to get it up and going

Thanks for reading my ramble hopefully it makes sense!

Regards Parma

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The logical reason to purchase the Pro10S to reharvest my Pro 1 inks
Just harvest some inks from your pro1 carts and refill the empty pro 10 carts when you arrive, the owner probably doesn’t have a red setter so you’ll have to disable the inks showing the red X.

To refill a pro 10 cart just dribble 5ml of ink onto the cart outlet as in this post,** to disable the ink monitoring you must hold in the resume button for 5 seconds for each cart when you choose to print..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/an-update-on-refilling-my-pgi-9-cartridges.5844/post-43128

Good luck, and only print nozzle check prints..

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
hello again - firstly thanks for the all your support......

So I finally picked up my Pro 10S with approx 50-100 pages being printed, so seems to be in pretty great condition the seller even provided some paper and a sealed ink cartridge! Now I've ordered a number of items from Octoinkjet which should arrive shortly. I'm hoping for some advice on in readiness.....
1/ If I disable ink monitoring as highlighted above does this disable those (Empty) cartridges on a permanent basis or does the printer reinitialise the ink empty cartridge faults etc.

2/ What is the best way to reharvest my inks from my Pro 1 carts is there a procedure available?

3/ Considering the Pro 1 will be disposed soon, is there a way to extract the inks within the charging tubes of the printer as there is 15 ml of ink per tube which can be "saved" or this just to risky to use?

I've attched the print nozzle check before the replace
cartridges error occured for your feedback.

many thanks for your support
20240226_171646.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I've attched the print nozzle check before the replace
OK when you disable an ink cart (Any colour) you can then refill it and use it again and again, the ink monitoring will only return when you install a brand new cart or when you re-set the chip on the same usable cart, You must monitor the ink usage manually yourself..

If you didn’t use two separate posts for the same subject you’d be able to keep track of the useful information that is provided for you..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pro-10s-purchase-advice-please.16377/post-141489

If you wish to cannibalise the ink in the CISS tubing then by all means, but it might turn out a bit messy..

P.S. You can only use one of the grey colours from the Pro 1, off hand I can’t remember which one, a quick test will tell you..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Great buy, congrats.
I definitely would buy a Redsetter, it makes the PRO-10 the easiest printer to refill.
The last one too, take care of it and enjoy !

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi Guys
Thanks for all your support and feedback. Apologies for the delay in replying as a thing called work keeps getting in the way of our hobby !
Anyway I've bought a chip resetter and picked up a set of spare carts so will now start the refilling process using my Pro 1 inks.

A couple of questions if I may ...

1/what are your views on the best third party inks and how close are they to the Canon inks in terms of quality and cost
2/ do we have any printing resources in setting up best practices for printing on our forum Gor the canon 10s?

As always appreciate your wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Regards
Parma

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
1/what are your views on the best third party inks and how close are they to the Canon inks in terms of quality and cost
2/ do we have any printing resources in setting up best practices for printing on our forum Gor the canon 10s?

On 1… All I can say is go to https://www.octoink.co.uk/..

That’s a one stop shop for all your ink and sundries supplies.. O’ Plus good advice..

On 2… maybe @palombian will help out there.. I don’t have a good track record with the Pro 10..

Simon Knight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9000 mkII Epson 1500W
I second The Hat's recommendation of OctoInks. The price is an order of magnitude cheaper than OEM. While the ink is not the same quality as OEM how could it be? However, it is close and as Martin of Octoinks has written 3rd party inks have made many advances in the past decade.

My Pro-10s has been used to support my daughter's Art qualifications from GCSE (almost wrote 'O' Level) through to her Art and design degree. "We" printed many many many A3 sized prints over the years all using Octoinks. I would have wept if I had been using OEM inks given how many full sized proofs ended in the bin. The quality is more than good enough however when comparing the same image printed on the same Lustre paper with OEM and Octoinks it is possible to see slight differences. In absolute terms I would pick OEM version but the difference is slight and I suspect that if you never saw the comparison you would be happy with the Octoinks. Also more refined profiling might bring them even closer together.

The unknown factor is how long will the prints last? Good question but it applies to OEM inks as well especially if the prints are on 3rd party papers.

In the spirit of full disclosure my print head died a few weeks ago. At the time it was using OEM inks and I think that it had just come to the end of its life. Judging by the test prints made before it died it was the grey channel that died which makes sense as I believe that grey is used more than any other colour.

2) Print a Canon test print every other day. You will use less ink than doing cleaning cycles and my print head died while being cleaned.

When one ink cart' nears empty change all ten in one go. Any change of cartridges causes a purge cycle of all cartridges and deposits a quantity of ink into the waste pad. If you change them one at a time you will cause more ink to be wasted filling the waste pad.

Enjoy your new printer.

S

parma

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
I second The Hat's recommendation of OctoInks. The price is an order of magnitude cheaper than OEM. While the ink is not the same quality as OEM how could it be? However, it is close and as Martin of Octoinks has written 3rd party inks have made many advances in the past decade.

My Pro-10s has been used to support my daughter's Art qualifications from GCSE (almost wrote 'O' Level) through to her Art and design degree. "We" printed many many many A3 sized prints over the years all using Octoinks. I would have wept if I had been using OEM inks given how many full sized proofs ended in the bin. The quality is more than good enough however when comparing the same image printed on the same Lustre paper with OEM and Octoinks it is possible to see slight differences. In absolute terms I would pick OEM version but the difference is slight and I suspect that if you never saw the comparison you would be happy with the Octoinks. Also more refined profiling might bring them even closer together.

The unknown factor is how long will the prints last? Good question but it applies to OEM inks as well especially if the prints are on 3rd party papers.

In the spirit of full disclosure my print head died a few weeks ago. At the time it was using OEM inks and I think that it had just come to the end of its life. Judging by the test prints made before it died it was the grey channel that died which makes sense as I believe that grey is used more than any other colour.

2) Print a Canon test print every other day. You will use less ink than doing cleaning cycles and my print head died while being cleaned.

When one ink cart' nears empty change all ten in one go. Any change of cartridges causes a purge cycle of all cartridges and deposits a quantity of ink into the waste pad. If you change them one at a time you will cause more ink to be wasted filling the waste pad.

Enjoy your new printer.

S
Hi Simon,
Thank you for your concise feedback much appreciated.
1/ Yes, I've followed the advice on here and have now purchased a second set of ink cartridges which have been reset and ready to harvest ink from my Pro 1 which sadly died recently.
2/ When you mean print a canon test print are you referring to a nozzle check print out ?

Thanks
Parma