Canon PIXMA MX870 printer producing slanted/wavy text

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
My 75 yr young eyes don't see anything wrong the 4 lines of text. I do see a wavy line just above the text but dont know its source--could be ink dragged by the printhead or the top of the piece of paper printed on. I did a screen snip, opened it PSE 7 and zoomed in. Considerable pixelation, but all 4 lines look normal. Rather than screw up an upload, I'll ask you gents to repeat my snjp&zoom. In fact, post please some instructions for me to insert an image into the post, I'll play with upload later.

irv weiner

PS: How do we convince the OP to use a quality 3rd party ink? There is much info on this site, use it!

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: Grandad35

I took out my how-to-scan books and it seems that to be able to see the slanted/wavy text (actually the top half of each letter is offset from the bottom half) I would have to scan at 6000 dpi!!!!! Of course, this is impossible with the MX870. Also, your site would take any scan above 100 KB and make it 640 x 480 pixels. In effect, what we are doing is making a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy. Remember the vhs tapes when you made a copy. By the fourth copy the tape was not viewable.

I thought I could change the slanted/wavy text to a larger font. At a font larger than 24 the slanted/wavy effect goes away--so much for that idea.

I have an idea that might work. Last not I zoomed in on the slanted/wavy text. The effect did not go away. I then took a picture of the screen (I have a 24 inch monitor) with my digital camera. I will print out the picture and scan it. You will only see two letters a normal the and a slanted/wavy the--but it will give you what you need.

I will talk to Canon to see if we can scan a text at a large magnification without losing resolution.

Thank you.

To: irvweiner

Referring to your post #21, what does OP mean?

Thank you.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
7439_image_taken_by_camera_2.jpg

Here is the image. The top the is the slanted/wavy text. The bottom the is the normal text.

I hope irvweiner approves!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Like ghwellsjr said in post #3, it looks like a dirty timing strip. If the printer misses (doesn't see) even one of the timing marks on either the left-to-right or right-to-left printing pass, it will print that pass offset to the side by one timing mark.

Since the printer starts counting the marks on the timing strip at each far edge of travel, ink residue anywhere on the strip will cause your problem. Be sure to clean the strip all the way to each edge.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

I have cleaned the timing strip againfront and back. I still see the slanted/wavy text.

I have been cleaning a light gray colored plastic strip that is located behind the print head.
Canon told me that this is the timing strip. Is this correct?

So, what do I do now?

I am planning to return the printer to Costco on Tuesday (Feb. 1). Costco said I could do this.

Thank you.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
This problem could also be caused by a bad alignment. Even if your printer allows for automatic alignment, sometimes doing a manual alignment can be an improvement.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Yes, Joseph, I approve of this new data but am quite curious, if poor bi-directional alignment why just the 1st line?? The printhead has to repeat the same path for all text lines; I suggest you execute a printhead alignment from the maintenance panel but dont feel confident.

One scenario could be excessive stiction developing after the head has been parked for while. When asked to print a new line there is a slight time delay befor the head starts to move across the page. when the head returns to the starting point agian, it is in motion and then commanded to print next line. There would be little or no static friction acting at this time when the printing direction is reversed.

What would happen if you printed out a few text lines placed at the top and bottom of letter size page?
" "., waited several minutes and reprinted? The head would be parked and resting, possibly permitting the stiction to redevelop in this case.

I'm trying to discover if the head once sent out to print and in motion screws up only the first text line and then performs properly for the rest of the page. It may not be the head, could the timing tape, when parked becomes temporarily physically distorted at its starting point--and then when in motion flex normally?

I'm still concerned that the caboodle ink is central to this problem, when and if the OEM ink was used did this problem exist? The 2.5 month time period to failure is a clue but to exactly what?

irv weiner

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is time for me to turn in.

I will perform the manual head alignment tomorrow and do some tests also.

If I cannot get the printer to work by the end of tomorrow I will give up. Life is too short to waste time on a bad printer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
joseph1949 said:
Note: Costco said they would refund me the money on the printer!!!!!Yahooooo

What do you suggest as a printer?

I need an all-in-one--print, scan, copy, etc. I should be able to refill the carts and reset the chips on the carts.
I would suggest a used MP780. It uses the old cartridges that don't have chips making it one of the easiest to refill. Here is how to evalutate a used MP780 printer.

Where are you located?