Canon PIXMA MX870 printer producing slanted/wavy text

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Joseph1949,

I see the scan, but it's too small to see any detail. Can you scan a 2"x2" section of your printed sheet at 300 ppi to show the problem with an approximately 600x600 pixel image, then upload it without resizing?

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I think your Caboodle car is kicking you in the caboose! I dont know what quality ink you are pumping thru your printer--it is quite possible the the 'ink' is collecting on the printhead, drying out leaving a hard 'crud' that is being dragged across the printed page. That together with the printhead dynamics can cause a vibratory motion resulting in your output. 2 to 3 months is a reasonable time period for this 'crud' buildup to occur for both printers or a 3rd or 4th if you are still pumping this Caboodle 'ink' thru. Is Canon aware that you are using a non-Canon ink? Many posters have indicated when they revealed their use of a 3rd party, the Canon service person terminated the conversation or never replied to emails or letters.

There is no mention of removing the printhead and cleaning/purging it--try this, you might get lucky. I'm very surprised that Canon did not ask you to remove the printhead and examine the nozzle surface for the presence of foreign materials.

good luck irv weiner

PS In the future be sure to buy good quality 3rd party inks--just search this site for info.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To:Grandad35

Thank you for the reply.

I was thinking that the image was not viewable.

I have read your recent post, but I am not sure how to perform what you want me to do.

Here is how I think I can give you a viewable image:

Canon will let me scan a document at the following dpi-75, 100,150, 200, 300, 400, 600.

At (My Uploads) it shows me the following--

resize image 100 x 75 (avatar)
160 x 120 (thumbnail)
320 x 240 (for websites and email)
640 x 480 (for messages boards)

I will cut a 2 inch x 2 inch piece showing some slanted/wavy text.

My operation:

1. Scan the 2 inch x 2 inch piece at 600 dpi (or at any dpi you suggest)
2. At (My Uploads) I click on the box and pick 640x480 (message boards) (or you can tell me what to pick).
3. ?

Please tell me if the above steps are correct. If not, please tell me what steps to take.

I will scan the piece after I change out my 10 foot USB cord to a 6 foot cord. Canon email support said that the 10 foot cord might be causing the problem. If it turns out to be the cord I will have a problem. Because of the size of the printer and the size and shape of my office I had to place the printer 8 feet away which meant I had to use a 10 foot USB cord.

If the 10 foot cord is the problem I am thinking of going to Wi-Fi. I will call Canon to help me with this.

I will also make a trip to Costco and see if I can get a refund or exchange for a different brand and/or model of printer.

To: irvweiner

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like you read my #6 post. Carboodle uses Canon carts they get from various sources. They place their ink into the Canon carts. Where Carboodle gets the ink I do not know. I will ask them. I am not sure if Carboodle will give me a straight answer about the ink.

I have been using Carboodle carts in my HP DeskJet 882C printer and my Canon iP6210D printer with no sign of slanted/wavy text. The only problem is that the carts stop working. With Carboodle carts you ALWAYS want to purchase two or three of each type of ink cart. I know I am comparing apples to oranges here, but I just wanted to make it clear about the Carboodle carts and slanted/wavy text as least for my two older printers.

I have NOT told Canon that I am using third party ink and I will not.

Last night Canon email people said they could not help me. Canon has given me the choice to take the unit to a repair center (25 miles away) or they can give me a refurbished unit (like the second unit). If need be I will go with the refurbished unit. If this unit goes bad I will start Plan B.

Canon has said nothing about cleaning the printhead.

Question: Should I call Canon and ask them if I can clean the printhead or should I clean the printhead without asking Canon? If I clean the printhead without Canon's permission can they tell that I have cleaned the printhead (on the second unit that I returned to them)?

Are there instructions on this site on how to clean a printhead and if so please direct me to said instructions.

Again, thank you for your reply. I will now change out the 10 foot cord for a 6 foot cord and then I will be driving to Costco to see if they can help me.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
1. Scan the page at 300 dpi and save it as a jpeg.
2. Click the "E-Mail" link on left, unde my name.
3. Send me an E-mail with the jpeg as an attachment.
4. I'll process the image and post it.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: Grandad35

I went to your email, but I do not see a way to send an attachment.

Please tell me how to send an attachment at your email located under your name.

Thank you

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I use Outlook for E-mail, and when I click on "E-Mail" I get an Outlook form that lets me do whatever I want to do. I assume that when you click on "E-Mail" that you get a program that allows you to attach files, but if it doesn't, scratch that idea.

Scan some text at 300 dpi, crop a 640 x 480 section that shows some detail and upload that image.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
7439_scan_for_grandad35_first_line_is_slanted-wavy.jpg

Here is the image. Line #1. is slanted/wavy.

I hope the image is viewable, if not, we can try again.

Thank you

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

The image is viewable, but the quality is such that you cannot see the slanted/wavy text.

What if I scan at 600 dpi?

Note: Costco said they would refund me the money on the printer!!!!!Yahooooo

What do you suggest as a printer?

I need an all-in-one--print, scan, copy, etc. I should be able to refill the carts and reset the chips on the carts.

Thank you.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
A large image with small text doesn't help - can you post something like:
113_test99.jpg

where the detail is visible?

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

My scanning experience is very limited. I will go into the manual and see how to blow-up an image without losing sharpness. If this fails, I will contact Canon and get them to help me.

This could be my last post for the night.

Thank you.