Canon Pixma MP620 error code

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Just to confirm now got good nozzle check, M/C is doing its usual whirring/clicking sounds but not for so long. I have set up a new wireless connection and is now responding normally to a printer command. For now seeing I am getting normal output rightly or wrongly will carry on as it is, and see if the noise gets better or worse. At least getting some use out of the ink I have just purchased

It does now only seem to take the normal amount of cleaning time, and is then available to print. The only part not got back in yet is the rear paper support, keeps falling back down. Use the cassette mostly anyway.

If this printer fails thinking of trying a Brother next time my Sisters seems to work wirelessly over 2 floors very well. I realize these are only 4 ink M/C's so photos will not be good, but A3 capacity would be handy. Thanks everybody who have tried to help I just do not think I can do a full strip down yet.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Problem back again just because I did a nozzle check, this showed no cyan but tank was full. I tried blowing through vent and it did not seem to flow freely. I refilled spare pulled yellow which tank was empty but display showed full so refilled that one. As soon as you drop the scanner lid and it goes through its priming routine the clicking starts and the the error code comes up.

I have pulled of the same external covers but cannot see anything obvious. The purge unit itself has always seemed to be working properly. But I note from Lukasz earlier comments that the purge unit sensor may be obscured with ink. I cannot find any reference to this sensor in the 620 manual. Is it within the purge unit itself?. Perhaps Lukasz could tell me.

If so looks as though you have to practically dismantle the printer, which is quite a job. I notice approximately 3" in front of the parking/wiping area there is a while cylinder with grooves in it with a spring over it. It looks just the sort of item which could make these clicking noises. It looks like curtains for my 620. surely the purge unit is a pump with various tubes attached to and not likely to make a noise, merely not function if hoses fall off.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Problem back again just because I did a nozzle check, this showed no cyan but tank was full. I tried blowing through vent and it did not seem to flow freely.
It looks to me like there is an ink flow problem with the cyan cartridge. To get a good nozzle check the cartridges must be in perfect working order.
As soon as you drop the scanner lid and it goes through its priming routine the clicking starts and the the error code comes up.... I notice approximately 3" in front of the parking/wiping area there is a while cylinder with grooves in it with a spring over it. It looks just the sort of item which could make these clicking noises. It looks like curtains for my 620. surely the purge unit is a pump with various tubes attached to and not likely to make a noise, merely not function if hoses fall off.

The white cylinder could very well be the purge pump. It is actually two pumps in one housing, one for pigment black, one for dye inks. These pumps are peristaltic pumps, and contain rotors with rollers. A mechanical error in this pump unit could cause clicking noises.

Here is an article
about purge unit disassembly and cleaning. Maybe you will find something useful?

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
The purge unit itself has always seemed to be working properly. But I note from Lukasz earlier comments that the purge unit sensor may be obscured with ink.
Yes, (main) purge unit sensor is the core of purge unit. It is inaccessible from the top.
In order to reach that sensor, print engine have to be removed from printer base (please take a look on Jgroot's diary on repairing MP620 - http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-mp620-not-printing-black.7517/page-2#post-73324).

http://www.startcopy.ru/repair/rol_c_ip4600_4.shtml
Fourth and third picture from the end is "Purge cam sensor" (5C00):
It is accessible from the bottom of purge unit, but it is challenging.

If you get only 5C00 error with no other errors like 6A80/6A81 or 6C10, then purge unit operation isn't obstructed (it is not mechanical reason). Then, cleaning main purge sensor is the right approach.

If think ink pump operation isn't related to 5C00, error 5C20 is related to pump sensor instead (when purge unit spins, then pump cannot pump; when pump spins, purge unit stops - they are operated by the same electric motor /APP motor/ depending on spinning direction).

But if pump is clogged (or cannot produce vacum), then is no direct error.

Ł.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tried connecting scanner as per Lukasz post 19 (all cables?) unfortunately I mentioned previously that I bent the top right 4 pin orange connector and whilst trying to balance the scanner unit it broke off. I could still manage to push the plug on the protruding board pins as a temporary solution. When I tried power all I got was a motor noise from scanner and warning 5012.

Nothing from the print engine at all. I tried again without the doubtful orange connection which is on a very short lead, but no difference. Same noise from scanner which is stood vertical same error code. Looks like the end for this printer.