Canon Pixma MP620 error code

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
PeterBj Thanks link worked this time and so far have managed to remove R/H cover. Next task to remove 5 cables from their sockets. Do you need a special tool to extract them some hidden catch?. I do not want to break anything, the ribbon cable pulls straight out.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Are we talking about the five cable connectors in the lower right image on page 17-44 in the service manual?

I don't know the MP620 so I don't know if the connectors are locked. I don't think so, but they can be a very tight fit, if they are similar to connectors in other Canon printers.

In my opinion you shouldn't try to disconnect these cables by pulling the wires as shown in the service manual. But it might be necessary. so be careful if you do. Here is the picture from the service manual, maybe others have experience taking this printer apart?

MP620 MB.jpg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tip..
You sometime have to use both, your fingers and pull on the wires at the same time !
More so your fingers and be prepared to jiggle the plug as you pull. (Wiggle) ;)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes have got cables out but unfortunately whilst trying to hold the scanner unit with one hand it slipped and pulled out one of the cables slightly bending the socket hopefully not fatally.

Having a closer look at your picture of the porous plate and gasket, mine are slightly different the PGBK is the same but on the square one the gasket covers the whole width at the bottom 2 lugs each side but the top also looks 2 tabs but the top left corner of the porous plate appears missing. i.e. not a radius but angle. Have taken a picture but of course cannot scan it at the moment. There does not appear to be excessive amounts of ink in this area, and so far no foreign bodies.

Looking at Lukasz instructions to get at the purge unit involves considerable more dismantling, not sure I want to go down that road not even sure I can get the current pile of plastic reconnected. He mentioned service mode without ink and print head. Would it be feasible/advisable to power up and see what happens? I am almost reconciled printer has had it.

These manuals are a great help but were of course designed for trained engineers to follow not ancients like me.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
No corners are missing on the porous plates. The corners are deliberately cut to help proper installation of the plates. See this post and following posts.

The capability to power up without print head and cartridges and also save EEPROM info to a file in service mode does not apply to the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 generation of printers but only to newer printers. I have tried with an MP540 and an iP3600.

I would not apply power to a printer that is partly dismantled.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks PeterBj its just that Lukasz mentioned possibility of ink covering the ink sensor, this means a lot more dismantling which I am doubtful about. As I have found no obvious debris not sure whether to call it a day. Its this quite loud clicking/clanking noise if I could only run the printer to ascertain the location. To me the top of the gasket on the square plate looks a bit off whereas the bottom edge is completely covered. Whether this is sufficient to cause this racket and keep the print head in the parked position until the error code comes up not sure.

I agree not advisable to apply power at this stage.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you try taking a picture of the purge unit and a picture of the broken part? By going as close as possible with your camera and selecting a high resolution and cropping the image to include only the essential, you might get a good close-up. I think I used this technique to get the close-up of the HP paper sensor in this post.

Strange noises are most likely caused by a mechanichal damage, I think. But anything is plausible, a dirty sensor can also cause problems.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you going to tackle this job, I can give you a word of advice, be sure you want to do it first of all, and once started take as many photos as you can, that way you’ll know where everything was before you dismantled it.

Clear an area out of the way that you’re not using and cover the bench/table with loads of newspapers, that’s just in case it gets a bit messy, having latex gloves may also be a help and try to enjoy it because it will be very educational.

Big Tip…
Before you start power on the printer and get the print head to move from its parking station then as quick as you can pull the power lead from the wall, now you can get stuck in, good luck..

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Maybe from the end.
By removing some covers and placing scanner unit side by side to main unit, it is possible to visually check print engine (note cover switch if you want to run printer in that manner).

PeterBJ is right, in that case EEPROM cannot be checked in service mode.
But, general purge unit operation can be verified. I mean purge unit makes its routine regardless of presence printhead or inks because it is also capping unit and carriage locking mechanism.
Removing cover makes some thing easier to hear and observe.

Ł.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
OK took covers off but not as far Lukasz purge pump phase which involves removing the logic board. Could not find any loose bits. print head moved smoothly up and down. 1 point I was using a compatible/recycled PGBK which I thought had a small bump on the top so checked it cleared both ends ok. but when taken out tank was completely empty where display was full.

Refilled a Canon OEM PGBK topped up cyan/magenta now giving yellow warning put all covers/leads back on and much to my surprise got a green light. It started the normal whirring priming noises then the clicking noise (which I had some method of recording it). I lifted the lid and the print head was slightly away from the normal parked position, but the noise continued. I managed a nozzle check not too bad PB not complete.

It looks as Lukasz could be right the sensor might be obscured with ink, not sure I have the confidence to go much further. Also cannot print from this laptop at present. It is there and green ticked but does not respond to a print command. This fault came from nowhere was working fine which is why I bought another inkset for it. which is a waste not sure I fancy one of the newer Canons are there any refillable? And what are the refillable suppliers going to do?