Canon Pixma MG5320 printing to CD troublesHi,

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thx Everyone,
i have been very carefull to follow all instructions i have been given so i dont think im having the problem
because of those. The tray i have is similar to the 4500 above but marked G.

I am wondering about the mark inside the circle that the disc is placed over, at no time am i asked to put the tray into the machine without a disc in so how can it be used for alignment? I also only have the three shinny marks on the front of the tray holder, nothing on the back.

Thx for all the help so far Everyone.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The mark inside the circle that the disc is placed over, is for detecting if a disc is placed in the tray. If no disc is placed in the tray, this mark will cause the tray to be ejected, and you get an error message.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As far as I know, printable discs with a glossy surface or a metallic sheen are available. If you are using one of these discs instead of a normal matte white printable disc, I think the sensors could get confused. So are your discs the common matte white type?

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
im using the discs with a white surface not the silver sheen discs.
Thx

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
beginagain said:
Hi,
im using the discs with a white surface not the silver sheen discs.
Thx
Here is a CD tray the same as yours marked (G)..

5128_uncd_tray_g.jpg

The two Red circles show the alignment sensor points, which the printer will use to line up the tray correctly.
The Green sensor point is for detecting whether there is a disc in the tray or not.

The Yellow circle shows the white triangle alignment mark;
this is as far as the tray should be inserted into the printer when instructed too.

I also highlighted (Yellow) these triangle marks, one is on the tray and the other
is only visible when you lower the inner flap, just line them up for the printer to start.
----------------------------------

To print using the Canon CD labelPrint..

Make up your label with your own Artwork and when ready just click on the printer icon button (Far Right).
Then youll see you label and you can make any changes before hitting the print button.

5128_cd_preview.png

Next you get the instructions to lower the inner flap and insert the tray containing a DISC.

5128_cd_insert.png

So follow the instructions and inset the tray into the printer,
just far enough to line up the triangle marks with each other.

Now if you insert the tray without a DISC youll get this message

5128_cd_failure.png

so make sure that you have loaded the DISC into the tray and push down on the DISC to lock.

If all of the above instructions are followed your CD Disc tray
will be drawn into the printer and you'll get your nice image printed onto its surface ok.:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If the discs are suitable and "operator error" can be ruled out, hardware and software problems remain as possible causes for the trouble.

We cannot rule out that the printer or the tray is defective. Could you borrow another tray and test that, and test your tray in another printer?

Windows XP pro is a good and stable OS, so I don't think that in itself should be a problem, as the printer is compatible with Windows XP. But something could have gone wrong in the install. If you have a second computer I suggest to try installing the printer on that computer and see if CD printing now works. Don't try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and other software yet. And cleaning the registry and perhaps using a special uninstaller like the "Revo uninstaller pro" which is available as a fully functional 30 days free trial version, shouldn't be tried yet.

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thx all for getting back to me. I spoke with Canon and as soon as the rep realized i was saying one and a quarter inch offset and not quarter inch offset he laughed and told me to take it back asap, which is what im going to do......i believe a sensor inside the computer is malfunctioning.
Thx again for all the help.
b

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the feed-back. I was beginning to suspect a printer fault, glad to hear you will get the printer replaced.