Canon Pixma MG5320 printing to CD troublesHi,

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
i am having some troubles printing onto printable cds with my new canon pixma mg5320. Its prints about one and a quater inches to high and onto the
cd tray, quite a miss. I have been over the -procedure and im sure im doing everything correctly, reloaded the drivers, checked all the settings changed the picture to print onto the cd as a test.

Their is an adjustment for vertical alignment but it only allows 0.2 of an inch and not 1.25 inches.
Anyone ever have a problem like this?
Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciatted.
Thx

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If this new printer is like the older Canon printers capable of CD printing, the CD tray has some shiny alignment marks. Maybe some of these marks are dirty?

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thx Peter,
on my tray their are 2 squares in the portion that slides first into the printer. One looks fine the other almost
corroded. Ill clean it up and try again.
Thx Again

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Although i think it may have been printed over, but i will try.
Thx

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is the first time Ive ever heard of the CD tray going wrong and it still continued to printed out of position.. :(

Usually when the tray is not in correct alignment the printer rejects it and wont print...

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
If only i was trying to print on the cd tray i would be golden. Im wondering if the alignment sensor is dirty or
has tape over it that i have not removed? I dont think so but ill check later.
Thx

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
beginagain said:
If only i was trying to print on the cd tray i would be golden. Im wondering if the alignment sensor is dirty or
has tape over it that i have not removed? I dont think so but ill check later.
Thx
The Canon CD tray have changed somewhat over the years, the older ones used to have five reflective points
for the sensors to read but now all the newer ones only have three.

If you clean your three sensor points (circled) like the tray on the right with a clean cloth or tissue
then your printer should have no trouble reading them next time.

5128_cd_trays.jpg

I still cant understand why your printer went ahead and totally destroyed your valuable CD;
without locating these reference points first, has your printer developed a fault by any chance..:(

beginagain

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My printer is brand new and seems to work fine in all other regards. Im wondering if using windows xp pro may be causing some driver issues though it says its ok. When first trying to print to cd it did come up error 6000.
Thx

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
beginagain said:
My printer is brand new and seems to work fine in all other regards. Im wondering if using windows xp pro may be causing some driver issues though it says its ok. When first trying to print to cd it did come up error 6000.
Thx
The 6000 error occurs when there is a blockage of the paper path of your printer.
This may have come up because you put in the CD tray to early or pushed it in to far inside your printer.

To print a CD successfully you need to follow and wait for the on screen messages
instructing you to carry out the next procedure and only proceed when the printer prompts you too..:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The CD trays also have shiny reflectors on the underside, maybe these need cleaning?

These reflective alignment marks are for the printer, but there are also alignment marks for the human operator. They are small triangular marks that must align with similar marks on the printer, when inserting the tray.

You see one of these marks on the "865" tray in The Hat's photo. It is the small white triangle in the yellow circle at the far right. You see similar marks on the "4500" tray, these marks are in black.

There are also some small circular indentations on both trays. I don't know the purpose of these, but I think they are there for a purpose, omitting them might be less expensive in manufacture? Better also make sure they are clean.

I have Canon printers iP4000, iP4200 and iP5200 with CD print capability. They are all a bit picky with CD print operations. As The Hat says, it is important to follow on-screen instructions. Sometimes a little push at the right moment of time helps the tray enter the printer. I only print discs occasionally so each time it is a bit of trial and error before I succeed. Don't give up yet.

Your printer or tray might be faulty, maybe they could be replaced under warranty, if the printer is brand new?