Canon MP620B: Suddenly unable to reset ink monitor

cloud149

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
So I've been refilling ink cartridges with my printer for a little while and had no real problems. Now my printer is giving me a out-of-ink message that I cannot bypass (as I have been able to do in the past). Tried the hold down the stop button method. Tried other more complicated methods found around the internet unsuccessfully. All I've been able to do is bring up the Service Menu, which hasn't been any help. I'm getting very frustrated. Any help is welcome.

ddedicate

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Try to install the original "OEM" cartridges into the printer and just print as usage for a while (I mean a couple of days). It would make the printer ID chip to recognize the OEM replacement cartridges. Then put yours refills back in and try the reset method again to see it would work. Good luck.

mancy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can try cleaning cartridge connects with a pencil eraser. Also clean the ink cartridge holder connectors. I like to use windex when I serviced them.
The ink cartridge connections are most likely damaged, replace cartridge.
Don't use re-fills they will only cost you more in grief and lost time. If you are using infrequently upgrade to a toner based unit as they can sit at idle longer and still preform the same. they wont dry up like a ink cartridge will.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi cloud149,

Now I don't know which service menu that you are referring.

If you have code and can enter to the Service mode, and if you know the code to print the extended nozzle check (not the normal nozzle check from the utility) and EEPROM for your printer model, print out the extended nozzle check/EEPROM. It will clear the error with that particular cartridge chip that is unable to release the ink monitoring. This has nothing to do with the cartridge clip contact, so no need to clean the cartridge contact or erase with pencil eraser. And also no need to buy new cartridges. It's the some error with the clip communicating the data store with the EEPROM for that particular color cartridge clip.

After you printed the extended nozzle check/EEPROM, shutdown the printer from the service mode and power on normally, either it will say low ink or you may need repeat the process of release ink monitoring when that message appear.

I had resolved the problem with the Canon CLI-8BK Cartridge unable to release ink monitoring which I posted 2 years back but I think I forgotten to update my thread that I had resolved the issue. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2808&p=1
You maybe using different clip as I do but you could try to see if this my above mentioned method resolve your problem.