Canon ip5200 problem - no ink on paper - not even nozzle check

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I guess the only solution is for printer manufacturers to raise the prices on new printers.........right......? :old

Will that result in fewer complaints about replacement part costs for our old, proven workhorse printers........? :old

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I guess the only solution is for printer manufacturers to raise the prices on new printers.........right......?

Will that result in fewer complaints about replacement part costs for our old, proven workhorse printers........?
Yeah and pigs will fly..:sick

PW

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Of the 370 something reads only one person has suggested any means of attempting to clarify it the original problem is a faulty printhead. And so with thanks and due respect to ghwellsjr, I still am not certain the printhead is the faulty part.

I take the point that perhaps the iP5200 is (was) reliable and possibly more robust than present day printers. And it has been what I would call economical to refill, been doing that for years.

(As regards stratman's comment; "by all means get a new printer and trash your old one because that's the environmental thing to do". I do try to be environmentally friendly. However, for me at present it is simple economics. I need the cheaper solution (in part to print yet more job applications) because having been without a job for far longer than I will admit and simply cannot afford to waste any money).

What if the problem is not the printhead and 80 UKP ($115) is wasted?

How can I be sure a new print head would totally solve the problem?

If I was certain the problem is the printhead then I might consider spending the money on a printhead for the 6 year old printer rather than a new printer which is guarenteed to solve my problem (if only in the shorter term and maybe keep the iP5200 until I can afford to try a new printhead).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PW:

My apologies for tone of the final remark. You seem like a nice chap. Thank you for your graciousness.

We don't know what is your precise issue with the printer because more information is needed to be more sure. Yes, there is the possibility that evidence traditionally sufficient to make a diagnosis on the forum still risks that the fix suggested may not be correct - especially important if you are required to outlay significant money to attempt the suggested fix. I believe, however, the forum gets it overwhelmingly correct concerning the need for a new print head... as long as proper information is given in order to come to a valid conclusion. This takes effort on everyone's part. This would include at least an image of your nozzle check. A picture can be worth a thousand words in this instance.

I fully understand personal finances guiding spending choices. You will find the new Canons to be fine printers but more difficult to refill. There are chip resetters for the new CLI-226 and PGI-225 cartridges. But these new cartridges are completely opaque, requiring workarounds to refill this cartridge, or, swapping 225/226 chips onto the older model 220/221 cartridges which retain a partial transparent window to facilitate refilling. Or, you can get an inexpensive digital scale and calculate the weight of the cartridge compared to an empty one and then figure out the ml's of ink needed to refill based on the weight of an ml of ink. It sounds tedious but the process for either method is simple, effective and relatively quick. Plus, you will still be able to save a bushel of quid in the process.

All of these points have been well documented and are mature issues on the forum. It is doubtful you will present any novelty to the database, so have no fear. Decide what you'd like to do and the information to help you is available by way of the search function or posting a question.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
PW
Your print head is most likely dead and I can sympathise with you about not wanting to throw away hard to get cash.
But go get yourself the new printer anyway and use it and then youll soon realise your older 5200 printer is well worth saving after all.
Also this newer printer is going to need a resetter and its a bit of a bitch to refill these opaque cartridges
so the sooner you can save the cash for the print head the better.

Happy Printing.
Stratman beat me to it again..:barnie

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
Stratman beat me to it again..:barnie
I got up with the chickens this morning, uncle. :frow

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
iP5200 advantages vs a new printer (eg. iP4920)

+ Faster refilling (larger cartridges)
+ Easier refilling (transparent cartridges)
+ Safer refilling (resetters are available right now and the iP5200 is not designed to self destruct if you use top plugs)
+ Less noise
- Slower
- New printhead expenses
- The requirement for waste pad maintenance will come sooner
+ BUT service manuals with disassembly instructions for the ip5200 are available on the web right now (duckduckgo found at least one)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
PW I understand very well your position, having in the past been out of work and watching the pennies/cents. Yes the 5200 was a great printer but there is no guarantee that a NEW printhead that will solve the problem, and I can understand perfectly why you would be reluctant to go down that route.

Another suggestion would be to retain the 5200 for now and try and buy a good used or refurbished model with easier reflling capabilities. I purchased from E-bay last year a very nice MP760 very cheaply and it came with 17 assorted compatible Carts (mostly black). If you can get back into employment with a modest outlay of money, then perhaps you could revisit your old one at a later date. I quickly found some original carts and started refilling my BCI-3 with great help from this forum whilst gradually using up the compatibles which I found where prone to inkflow problems.

Anyway I hope you get printing you CV's soon and achieve sucess.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stratman I got up with the chickens this morning, uncle.
Out on the sauce again last night and she made you sleep in the chicken house. :smack
Ah that explains you early morning alarm calls..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Well, uncle, she does rule the roost! :lol:

I'm lucky this didn't happen to me. :hide