Canon iP4760 Error 5100

razorboybaboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all!

I know there is a button sequence for Error 5100, as I've read in this forum. I tried it but somehow I can't make it work in my iP4760. (4700 series).

Please help!

TIA.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
razorboybaboy

The error 5100 is a common error to get; it covers many things, like obstruction in the print head path, and paper path or dirt, ink on the timing strip.
If you cound check the paper path and make sure it's clear, now the timing strip for dirt, then print head path.
Turn on the printer and open the lid when the print head stops in the middle of the carriage way, pull out the power cord.
Examine the strip and if necessary give it a clean, then If you can move the print head back and forth easily by hand then you have also eliminated that possibility.
You could now try and reset your printer.
Try this.

1. Turn off printer
2. Hold down Resume button and press Power button.
3. Keep holding down Power button and let Resume button go.
4. Press Resume button twice then let both buttons go.
5. Green lights will flash and then stop blinking.
6. When green lights are solid, press the Resume button 4 times.
7. Press the Power button and the printer should turn off, if not press the Power button again.
8. Your printer should respond as normal on power on..

I hope this works for you.. :)

razorboybaboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yep, I tried that button press sequence but it didn't work.

What I haven't tried is:
"Turn on the printer and open the lid when the print head stops in the middle of the carriage way, pull out the power cord. "

I'll try that.

Thanks a lot!

razorboybaboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
By the way, LED blinks twice (orange & green alternately).

http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=227 says "No paper. (ASF) [1000]e" and the solution is "Set the paper in the ASF, and press the Resume/Cancel button."

What is ASF?

razorboybaboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Solved.

Waste tank pad/lid was stuck because the ink got sticky... according to the technician.

I paid someone just for him to force it open... which really didn't require "force"...

Damn, I feel so stupid.... ha ha!

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I think that maybe the print head was actually glued to the purge pads by sticky ink?

razorboybaboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's somewhere in the dock. (where the print head rests)

Make the print head stop in the middle, stick a finger in the dock and gently press in the waste pad area, you should be able to press it and it should spring back.... Do you call it something else? I don't know what it's called. :)

razorboybaboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
RMM:
Nope, when I turn on the printer, it does its initialization, the print head travels left & right, left & right... then finally goes all the way to the left and it stays there. Then the orange & green light blinks twice alternately.

Now, no matter the case, I find it hard to believe that the ink would get that sticky to get anything stuck because I do a LOT of printing. And actually it was printing when it suddenly stopped.

I mean, as far as I know, it's only when you do not use your printer for a looong time, that's when the ink may get sticky or might dry hence may get the head (or some other parts) stuck.