Can I unscrew pro9000 print head?

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I'm on a newish set of inks about two months old so they should be fine Emu. The PM nozzle check is still showing the white lines which show up in any prints but all the other colours look fine.
I have been refilling for over a year now & must have saved about $1400 ($120 discount price for 8 CLI8 carts) by not buying OEM so $140 for a new print head wouldn't be so bad if I had to buy one every year a:)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In post #38 Emulator wrote:
If the print head is finally dead, I hope you will not leave it there, but when, (if), you feel inclined, you will unscrew the pro9000 print head and complete the set of photos of the inside. It's the bit no one sees, but all wonder about!
In this (lengthy) thread you will find these pictures and a wealth more of information about Canon print heads: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=241&p=1

You find even more information here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6958

And here is the inner works from a printhead from a Pixma 3000, that I ruined when I attempted to clean it using wrong methods:
6881_ip3000.jpg

Notice ink has leaked from a defective gasket and notice burnt holes in the flexible ribbon cable. I think the gasket was ruined because I had disassembled and reassembled the printhead several times and tested it. Finally the printhead burned out because it was not completely dry before I reinstalled and tested it. This was many years ago, and I have since learned more gentle approaches to printhead cleaning.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
HeadChannelsnotsealed.jpg

Troughs (white Ceramic above the nozzles which is the dark broken piece. The dark piece shows backside)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Each trough is for one color and the dark piece is glued onto the white ceramic. So you can see how if the bond between troughs are brpken, you will get cross contamination of colors.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks Peter and mikling, I looked back through the earlier posts and I can see "we re-invent the wheel" every few years. It is noticeable that PhotoMagenta comes up as the guilty party quite often.

It must be tempting to investigate a blockage to find out where it actually occurred, whether ink or adhesive etc. Perhaps it is time for a "user strippable" print head, to keep the enthusiasts happy!!

Despite his protests, I think Rodbam actually likes taking things apart.

Regards Ian