An even easier way to Defeat The EPSON One Way Ink Valve!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Ever since I began my quest of finding a way of refilling EPSON T58 ( PRO 3800 / 3880 ) carts I've realized that there must be an easier way than the method I originally used in my 5 part video series on the subject.
In video #6 I demonstrated a non "Drilling" method but it still required the disassembling of the valve body components.
So now I've discovered a super easy non messy methods that is minimally invasive.
The best part is that is works like a charm!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbnlJgxMV8&feature=youtu.be

The bad part is that now it will be nearly impossible to find Empties on EBAY!!
They are really becoming scarce!!

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Nice one Joe, your first method was a bit slow all right but who the hell cared because it worked, but you newer method is real awesome.:clap

Would a very small Allen key do the same job as your needle ?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I think the fact that the body of the needle is round and not hexagonal might help the process some. Remember that you want o "Sneak" it around the Poppet valve. That little white rod does float on top of the spring and can be laterally displaced somewhat. That allows you to sneak a thing needle by and reach the all important base of the valve body.

I do have very thin hex keys that I will try this procedure with and report back, however the needle that I did use measure only 40 thou in diameter and that seems to be about the max diameter that I could get around and beyond the poppet valve so the Hex Key idea may not work. By the way you will have to heat the needle till red hot and allow it to cool slowly to remove all the hardness or it will snap in to when you try to bend it.

I think I will build a special custom tool with a handle to facilitate the process in the future.

That's the point where you are literally working blind and relying on your sense of touch as you proceed to push that rear cap OFF one of the contact points.

You also want the needle to be as blunt as possible to diminish the possibility of puncturing the ink bag. That would ruin your day when you attempt to push in a full load of ink.

Joe

Last edited:

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Very nice!

I have a couple of questions. I am hearing impaired so most of the time I can't hear what you say on the video. You say something about a cross and I guess it has to do with the construction of the one way valve. What I dont understand (can't hear) is what you exactly do with the needle and the valve? Do you bend it in some way? The video is very good so I can see what you do but I don't understand what you do with the valve. I have another question and that's about the black tip you have put on the syringe. Where do one get this and is it actually necessary to have? Doesn't the plastic end of the syringe fit in the hole? A third question is if it isn't possible to just put a needle on a syringe and pass the valve with it and inject the ink in the cartridge (if you are careful and not puncture the bag inside the cartridge)? Maybe first rasp off the edge of the needle so it's not so sharp.

I think what you are doing is really great. I think the original Epson cartridges has the best construction and it's really a pity that it's not normally possible to reuse them!

Best regards,
Per

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Very nice!

I have a couple of questions. I am hearing impaired so most of the time I can't hear what you say on the video. You say something about a cross and I guess it has to do with the construction of the one way valve. What I dont understand (can't hear) is what you exactly do with the needle and the valve? Do you bend it in some way? The video is very good so I can see what you do but I don't understand what you do with the valve.

THE NEEDLE CAN BE STRAIGHT FOR ALL IT MATTERS, THE BEND IS TO HELP THE OPERATOR HOLD IT AND MANOUVER IT.

WHAT IS TAKING PLACE IS THIS. NORMALLY YOU WOULD HAVE TO COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLE THE VALVE BODY.
RETAINING RING - RUBBER SEAL - POPPET VALVE- SPRING.

THE CROSS MEMBER I TALK ABOUT IS SIMPLE PART OF THE BOTTOM OF THE VALVE BODY. IT'S JOB TO SUPPORT THE SPRING WHICH KEEPS THE POPPET VALVE CLOSED WHEN THE CART IS NOT IN THE PRINTER.

THE UNDER SIDE CONTAINS TWO DIMPLES WHICH HOLD THE REAR CAP WHICH ALSO HOLDS THE PLASTIC DISK THAT ACTS AS THE ONE WAY VALVE.

NORMALLY I WOULD POP THE REAR CAP OFF ONE OF THE DIMPLES WITH THE VLAVE COMPLETELY APPART IN ORDER TO DISRUPT THE OPERATION OF THE LITTLE ROUND PLASTIC DISK FROM SEALING ANY LONGER. THEN YOU HAVE TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND MAKE 100% SURE IT ALL GOEA BACK PERFECTLY!

ORIGINALLY YOU WOULD HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL APART IN ORDER TO REACH THE POINT WERE I COULD THEN INSERT THE NEEDLE AND POP THAT REAR CAP OFF ONE SIDE.

I NOW CAN DO THAT WITHOUT REMOVING ANY PART OF THE VALVE. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS. AS YOU SAW ME DO IT. IT IS SUPER EASY BUT IT MIGHT REQUIRE A BIT OF A LEARNING PERIOD.

I have another question and that's about the black tip you have put on the syringe. Where do one get this and is it actually necessary to have?

RJETTEK.COM IF THEY HAVE THEM. THEY ONLY SELL THEM AS PART OF COMPLETE KIT FRO REFILLING EPSON CARTS.

Doesn't the plastic end of the syringe fit in the hole?

IT CAN BUT IT IS A BIT TOO WIDE TO ALLOW EASY INSERTION. IT COULD DAMAGE THE INK POST SEAL IF FORCED BUT YOU CAN DO IT IN A PINCH.

THERE ARE OTHER SO CALLED PRIMING OR REFILLING TIPS THAT YOU CAN ALSO USE. LOOK FOR THEM FROM REFILLING SITES. SOME OF THE FOLK HERE WILL KNOW WERE TO OBTAIN THEM.

A third question is if it isn't possible to just put a needle on a syringe and pass the valve with it and inject the ink in the cartridge (if you are careful and not puncture the bag inside the cartridge)? Maybe first rasp off the edge of the needle so it's not so sharp.

WHY DO THAT. EVEN IF YOU DO ACHIEVE THAT, IT MEANS THE NEEDLE WOULD STILL HAVE TO PASS THROUGH THE REAR SEALING VALVE DISK ANYWAY.
THERE IS NOT OTHER WAY TO ACTUALLY DIRECTLY INJECT INK INTO THE BAG WITHOUT CAUSING DIRECT DISRUPTION OF THAT DISK VALVE ANYWAY.

I think what you are doing is really great. I think the original Epson cartridges has the best construction and it's really a pity that it's not normally possible to reuse them!

IT IS REALLY THE BEST WAY TO APROACH REFILLING FOR THE EPSON PRINTERS.
CONSIDER THAT MOST IF NOT ALL SERIOUS CANON REFILLERS WILL NOT TOUCH 3RD PARTY REFILLABLE CARTS OR SO CALLED COMPATIBLE CARTS. WE KNOW THAT THE MOST RELIABLE CARTS ARE THE OEM ONES. ON THE EPSON YOU HAVE SOMEWHAT BETTER LUCK WITH 3RD PARTY REFILLABLES BUT WHY WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO NOT USE THE OEM ONES IF THEY COULD BE EASILY MODIFIED AND RESET.

YOU COULD USE ANY INK YOU WISH ON THE THEM AND STILL SAME A TON OF MONEY.
I USE OEM INKS THAT I HARVEST FROM LARGE 120 AND 220ML OEM EPSON K3 INK CARTS. IT IS NOT AS CHEAP AS 3RD PARTY INKS BUT YOU STILL MAKE OUT VERY WELL IF YOU KEEP YOU EYES OPEN ON EBAY.

JOE

Best regards,
Per

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Nice job @jtoolman i have a suggestion which may or may not work over the needle... Do a google and google images search for "twist ties" They are basically the things cables in electronics when you first buy them are often tied with or used for bag or in general packaging to hold items in place (normally on a card or similar backing) I guess everyones seen them, part plastic outter with a metal centre/spline.

Im not sure if they would be stiff enough for the valve but if so that could be another disposable or super cheap no work method/solution. They are also easier to bend than a needle and the extra plastic bulk may help engage the valve. Another idea for you to perhaps give a go :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the steel wire from the twist tie is too soft to be any good as a tool. The twist tie is made to be easy to twist. Instead I think a tool could also be made from a straightened paper clip. I found a paper clip in which the wire diameter measured 0.040" or 1.016 mm with a digital calliper.

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I think the steel wire from the twist tie is too soft to be any good as a tool. The twist tie is made to be easy to twist. Instead I think a tool could also be made from a straightened paper clip. I found a paper clip in which the wire diameter measured 0.040" or 1.016 mm with a digital calliper.

You are probably right PeterBJ it was just an idea as i happened to be reading the thread the same time i was opening a new USB cable which had one of those twist ties around it.

A paper clip is another good idea :) Id also suggest an old school nappy (or as they call them overseas and in the states) a Diaper pin similar to....
dritz_pins_how_to.jpg

No need to bend anything then just open and close, you can also get them in various metal gauges and general sizes :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Nice job @jtoolman i have a suggestion which may or may not work over the needle... Do a google and google images search for "twist ties" They are basically the things cables in electronics when you first buy them are often tied with or used for bag or in general packaging to hold items in place (normally on a card or similar backing) I guess everyones seen them, part plastic outter with a metal centre/spline.

Im not sure if they would be stiff enough for the valve but if so that could be another disposable or super cheap no work method/solution. They are also easier to bend than a needle and the extra plastic bulk may help engage the valve. Another idea for you to perhaps give a go :)

You really need a very stiff piece of very thin material ( like 50 thousands diameter ). As stiff as a needle or the rear cap will not budge. Trust me!

Joe

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You are probably right PeterBJ it was just an idea as i happened to be reading the thread the same time i was opening a new USB cable which had one of those twist ties around it.

A paper clip is another good idea :) Id also suggest an old school nappy (or as they call them overseas and in the states) a Diaper pin similar to....
dritz_pins_how_to.jpg

No need to bend anything then just open and close, you can also get them in various metal gauges and general sizes :)

Yes that would work but you'd have to dull that point a bit! one wrong move and you would puncture the ink bag and So long Cart!

I will get some, they should work perfectly after dulling the tip down. Thanks!

Joe