A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Roger that is a lot of reading! It is interesting to get such a detailed view from someone who has obviously spent a lot of time on the subject.

I am forming the impression myself that the approach to reading and masking of the patches has an important effect on the quality of the end result, particularly on the darker end of the range. Each measuring instrument will have its own characteristics of course.

For example the dogleg on the B&W density curve can be avoided by ensuring there is no extraneous ambient light or adjacent patch colour, visible to the sensor as a patch is measured. Close masking with slotted matt black card has minimised these errors. The ColorMunki Photo has about a 12 thousandth of an inch clearance to the paper, but that is enough to allow contamination of the darker shades unless you have a matt black mask restricting the viewing area and trapping ambient light.

It seems to me that the greyscale content benefits by using at least 30% greyscale patches. The single sheet of A4, CAP957 with 33% greys is the best yet and I cannot fault the results of B&W or Colour content. It does however require careful patch reading with the matt black mask.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@frogman , Pete while you are installing Argyll, it is worth also loading DispcalGUI and using it to calibrate your monitor. It uses ArgyllCMS and does a very good job with the display, in much more detail than the ColorMunki software.

frogman

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4880
Thanks Emulator,

I bought Eizo CS230 bundled with i1 Display Pro before couple of months and its Color Navigator with the i1 Display Pro gives average DeltaE < 1. I wanted to send back the i1 Display Pro for a refund, as I thought I will use the CM instead, but when I saw the CM result with the Color Navigator I decided to keep the x-rite colorimeter. :) The CM is really bad in the shadows comparing to i1 Display Pro.
I could try Argyll to calibrate the monitor, but I think it is going to do the job using my graphic card which is not a good idea. I don't think it can communicate with my monitor.

Cheers
Pete

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks Emulator,

I bought Eizo CS230 bundled with i1 Display Pro before couple of months and its Color Navigator with the i1 Display Pro gives average DeltaE < 1. I wanted to send back the i1 Display Pro for a refund, as I thought I will use the CM instead, but when I saw the CM result with the Color Navigator I decided to keep the x-rite colorimeter. :) The CM is really bad in the shadows comparing to i1 Display Pro.
I could try Argyll to calibrate the monitor, but I think it is going to do the job using my graphic card which is not a good idea. I don't think it can communicate with my monitor.

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete,

Hope all is well regarding the printer profile, that Epson 4880 is some beast. I see it has 9 inks, do you re-fill?

I note your comments about the Eizo, I am not familiar with it, I suspect it is more @RogerB 's territory than mine!:) It might still be interesting to compare the results of DispcalGUI and the Eizo's own, when you have time.

The information output of DiscalGUI regarding my ASUS display profiling is:

VS239-1.jpg VS239-2.jpg VS239-3.jpg

You have an adjustable 3D display as well.

The display profiling set up page is:

VS239-4.jpg

I await your comments regarding the printer profile with interest.:caf

Regards Ian

Last edited:

frogman

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4880
Hello Ian,

Sorry for the late reply,
Yes, I love my Epson 4880. It is easy to find original Epson carts very cheap, so I can not see the point of using a re-fill. I still have couple of full sets.:)
I printed the 480 patches .tif on a A4, but I would like to spread them equally on a 2 A4 sheets as I want to compare the 2 outputs later on.

Could you please advise me what I need to change on theCAP480 .txt file in order to achieve that?
If I want to pre-conditioning the targen should I only change this in red( this is my munki profile) on the .txt file:

:lab1
set pcn1=targen480
set pcn1=%date:/=-%-%pcn1%
targen -v -d2 - cEpson4880_ilford_gold_pspp_250.icc -G -e6 -B5 -g128 -f480 %pcn1%
echo %pcn1%.ti1 file complete
pause
goto :startpoint
----------------------------
I hope I will start scanning patches tomorrow, if I skip diving. :)

Cheers
Pete

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Pete,

The number of pages is determined by the patch sizes and number of patches. You would have to experimentally redefine targen and printtarg values. I think it may not be possible to achieve what you want. I am not sure I understand what you mean by "I would like to spread them equally on a 2 A4 sheets as I want to compare the 2 outputs later on."

I have not yet used pre-conditioning myself so it is an unknown to me. May be @mikling or @pharmacist can advise. I believe there should be a space between -c and Epson. I suspect you might find that the result was inferior in the early stages of profile creation, I would recommend trying a CAP480 and see how you go!

frogman

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4880
Thanks,

I want bigger patches, that is the only reason. I have no proper ruler at the moment to read the printed CAP480 targets. Patches are 9mm, but that is still too small for me.
I would like to change the .bat file in order to print these 480 patches onto 2 A4 sheets.
Bigger patches is better for me as it is easier to read and wasting another sheet of paper is not a big deal.
However, till I sort this out, I will try to make a proper ruler and give a go on this tiny patches. :(

Cheers
Pete

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks,
I want bigger patches, that is the only reason..................
Cheers
Pete

If you use an ordinary ruler or length of wood, you should be able to read the 480 patches, it's only when you try the 957 patches that you might find it difficult. Try it and see, Argyll will tell you if you are wrong. It pays to experiment before you put too much effort into designing the equipment.

@pharmacist produced a youtube video under the name Refill Master, illustrating patch reading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RoxKe7cBvQ

Alternatively you can experiment in Photoshop by copying the sheet of patches .tiff file and manipulating the image as you wish, by copying into an A3 sheet size.

Regards Ian

Last edited:

frogman

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4880
Thanks Ian,
Can you post a link to this video please?
Yes, I am afraid, I will create a profile with too many reading errors, so wanted to stay on the safe side - bigger patches...
--------------------
Thanks for the link. :)

Thanks in advance
Pete

Last edited:

frogman

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4880
So....First profile is done:
While creating it this warning appeared: Warning: Gamut mapping is non monotonic - may be not very smooth
Profile check, after was created:
  1. peak error =2.70
  2. avr error = 0.60
  3. RMS = 0.76
--------------------
ColorThink graph:

1423408313_argyll.JPG

I will print some evaluation images and will post later on.

Cheers
Pete