5C00 error or reset ip6600D waste ink?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I can take photos of any part you request or post some video clips if that will help to diagnose the problem.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Update: I just noticed that purge unit stops at random position. One time the pads are down the other up, or wiper blades in the middle etc. That makes no sense except that the sensor is not working and logic board does not know in what position the purge unit is?

Or the logic board needs resetting how to do that, I did not find any battery?
Perhaps the logic board is defective I would appreciate if someone could post approximate costs.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
smile,...If you've seen the locking tab move up and down and still the printhead won't move to the center, this indicates that the purge unit failed the cycle test. Without taking the Purge unit out of the chassis you can't see the full turning of the cams that break the photocell image and signal to the logic card.

You can take the purge unit out as a single asm without take it apart. I believe there is only one screw holding the Purge unit in place, but there are two logic cable that come from the logic card that have to be unplugged and carefully routed through openings to get the purge unit out. One cable is the drive for the purge motor and one is the signal cable from the photosensor. Once you get it out you can carefully turn the gear and watch each step of the process. If the locking tab move up and down and the wiper comes forward and back, this is telling you that all the gears are working ok. There are two parts to the photosensor. One is the led that generates the light and the other is the photo sensor. Either one can cause the failure.

One other bit of testing or information. When the printer cycled the purge unit and the tab went up or down, did the printehead attempt to move away from the park position at all. Was there any movement in the carriage at all. The tab may be moveing up and down but it has to be down at the correct time, else the carriage can't move to the left. The only thing that generates the 5C00 error is the timing from the photocell signal. The voltage to turn the LED on comes from the logic card via the small three wire cable. It could be a bad connector, at either end, or a bad socket on either end, or the LED or the Photocell. The small black "U" shaped unit on the tiny PC card is a combined led, photosensor. You can not buy these as parts from Canon, as they do consider those as replaceable parts, only the entire "FRU" which is the Purge Unit. A FRU is a "Field Replaceable Unit". All FRU's have part numbers. Individual components done have "Published partnumbers"

The other choice would be to find a iP6600 being sold for parts. Proabably cheaper than buying the entire Purge unit.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
smile,...If you've seen the locking tab move up and down and still the printhead won't move to the center, this indicates that the purge unit failed the cycle test. Without taking the Purge unit out of the chassis you can't see the full turning of the cams that break the photocell image and signal to the logic card.

See my post #5. I can see the sensor U shaped with 3 wires. And the blades that move inside it. The blades move full circle. That means that everything works, as far as mechanics are concerned?
You can take the purge unit out as a single asm without take it apart. I believe there is only one screw holding the Purge unit in place, but there are two logic cable that come from the logic card that have to be unplugged and carefully routed through openings to get the purge unit out. One cable is the drive for the purge motor and one is the signal cable from the photosensor.

On my printer the only sensor is U shaped without any LED.
Once you get it out you can carefully turn the gear and watch each step of the process. If the locking tab move up and down and the wiper comes forward and back, this is telling you that all the gears are working ok. There are two parts to the photosensor. One is the led that generates the light and the other is the photo sensor. Either one can cause the failure.

One other bit of testing or information. When the printer cycled the purge unit and the tab went up or down, did the printehead attempt to move away from the park position at all. Was there any movement in the carriage at all.

No movement of printhead the thing is dead.
The tab may be moveing up and down but it has to be down at the correct time, else the carriage can't move to the left.

The tab moves and stops where ever it wants
The only thing that generates the 5C00 error is the timing from the photocell signal.

Perhaps that's why the tab stops up or down position at random - no signal. But if I disconnect the sensor I get another error don't remember what is was. I taught that means the sensor is OK
The voltage to turn the LED on comes from the logic card via the small three wire cable. It could be a bad connector, at either end, or a bad socket on either end, or the LED or the Photocell.

I checked the wires with a multimeter they are OK, did not check the voltage don't know what to look for.
The small black "U" shaped unit on the tiny PC card is a combined led, photosensor. You can not buy these as parts from Canon, as they do consider those as replaceable parts, only the entire "FRU" which is the Purge Unit. A FRU is a "Field Replaceable Unit". All FRU's have part numbers. Individual components done have "Published partnumbers"

The other choice would be to find a iP6600 being sold for parts. Proabably cheaper than buying the entire Purge unit.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
smile,.. I have relisted my Repair Manual on ebay if you are interested. The item number is 290238630938

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well I'm looking for someone locally that wants to get rid of their 6600D printer so far no luck :(
I took my printer to local canon service they said it was faulty logic board, it's too expensive to replace imho.

I don't fix printers for a living but thanks anyway, I noticed you don't ship Internationally. Why?
You could email the manuals no?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi Smile, just asking what are you planning to do with your canon ip6600D printer? Have you manage to find anyone from your area who are getting rid of their 6600D printer so that you can salvage the logic board?

I am looking for timing strip QCI-6394. As far as my knowledge, IP4200, IP6600D & MP500 use this timing strip part number. There maybe other printer model that uses this same timing strip part number but I am not too sure what other models than those 3 mentioned. Probably you might be keeping the ip6600D various parts. However, should you decide to discard it away, not too sure if I can have your timing strip as where I am located, parts cannot be purchased from the Canon center other than printhead. I will pay for the shipping though.

Trigger37 ever mentioned that parts can be purchased from Canon US. But I am not too sure if they will ship out of US/Internationally.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I took the purge unit (that works fine as far as mechanics go) and then removed all un- needed parts. I use +12v to feed the purge unit is this right? I measured it as +7 at some point when printer spins it but in my tests +7 is not enough to spin it.

I had to cut the printer chassis in half to remove un-needed parts :) I plan to use it to clean various print heads and if works fine purge cli-8 cartridges :)

Trigger 37 maybe you know the correct voltage?

Lin I have the print head timing strip with some other parts like power adapter etc. Where do you live how much would be the shipping? And how can I send it so you could pay the shipping price?

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Smile,..None of the printer manuals since the early i550 listed the value of the purge motor voltage. It is only listed as 4 wires, Phase A-AB-B. It is developed from another voltage through a gated driver. The 4 phases are used to drive it in different direction. It will suck black ink in one direction and colors in the other. You probably need 12 volts across the correct pins. Pins 1 &3 and 2 &4 should be the pairs that drive but only one set at a time. Do 1+3 using +-12 and I bet it will go forward.

I am not very optimistic in what you are trying to do. There would have been much simplier ways. For all the time and parts you've wasted, you could have purchased one of my manuals and had all this infomation up front.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Trigger 37 said:
Smile,..None of the printer manuals since the early i550 listed the value of the purge motor voltage. It is only listed as 4 wires, Phase A-AB-B. It is developed from another voltage through a gated driver. The 4 phases are used to drive it in different direction. It will suck black ink in one direction and colors in the other. You probably need 12 volts across the correct pins. Pins 1 &3 and 2 &4 should be the pairs that drive but only one set at a time. Do 1+3 using +-12 and I bet it will go forward.

I am not very optimistic in what you are trying to do. There would have been much simplier ways. For all the time and parts you've wasted, you could have purchased one of my manuals and had all this infomation up front.
Hi Smile, I just send an email msg to you. If you are going to keep the timing strip, I understand. However, if it's really of no use to you, I hope I can give life to your timing strip by using it on my printer.