Windows XP Unsupported from April 2014

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I keep resetting my computer time to 2012 12 31 and still the end of the world does not come.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Ian,

If you go for Win 7 I reckon you’d right at home with it, it’s all things XP but far far better plus it still has another 5 years left in it too..

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
I think we can omit XP, you can install old printers drivers on win 7 by internet and connect to printer manufacturer.:barnie

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I purchased a copy of Win7 Professional 64 bit to try it out. As a XP user for many years I find it irritating that your freedom to control things yourself is taken away from you, even not visible once you install Win7. Having to confirm administrator rights every time you change something is totally unnecessary. I have turned that off.

Having to install all the programs again is an enormous task, many of them not on disk, but downloaded from long forgotten websites, even the WIFI and modems don't please Win7, but it won't allow access to directly control the modem software any more. Or perhaps I am not approaching it the right way? :somad

I am not a happy bunny.

My access to the internet has also proved unpredictable, so I am lucky to be able to post this message via an Ethernet link! :he

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The admin rights thing is a pain in the butt and you’ll have to get use to it, but you should try to forget how easy XP was to use because that’s the reason you had to change in the first place; it was all too easy for the hackers too.

Try to work with Win 7 and not against it and you’ll get alone with it easier, having to reinstall all your apps again is cruel but how else are you going to use them.

Any of the hardware that your having problems with, try unplugging it and rebooting again (Cold) then plug it back in and allowing the Win installer to make the decisions, that usually works, O’ I nearly forgot Win 7 has a memory so you may need to use a different socket to get a new response from the O/S.

I would suggest leaving the computer alone for an hour and having a good cup of coffee then go at it with both guns blazing; if you’re not smiling then you can’t really enjoy yourself.. :cool:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
No I don't have to get used to it!:) You can turn it off with a single click and no more popups!

"Try to work with Win 7 and not against it and you’ll get alone ......." In my mood it is lucky I am alone!!:duc

Fortunately I installed Win 7 on a separate hard drive, so I can physically switch hard drives and get back to XP for relaxation.:ya

One thing it has going for it, are the beautiful landscape pictures for the desktop.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The feature that you dislike in Win 7 is the "User Account Control" or UAC. It is a good security feature IMHO. It is possible to disable it, but this is not recommended.

The UAC in Windows Vista was much more annoying, In Windows 7 and 8 the behaviour is much improved, and I have come to like this feature. Windows Vista is horrible, and Windows 7 is a great improvement.

I think you should accept the UAC, it could actually protect you from an unexpected and hidden install of malware, by asking for permission before installing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The feature that you dislike in Win 7 is the "User Account Control" or UAC. It is a good security feature IMHO. It is possible to disable it, but this is not recommended.

The UAC in Windows Vista was much more annoying, In Windows 7 and 8 the behaviour is much improved, and I have come to like this feature. Windows Vista is horrible, and Windows 7 is a great improvement.

I think you should accept the UAC, it could actually protect you from an unexpected and hidden install of malware, by asking for permission before installing.
Isn’t that what I said about it ? :cool: