Windows 10 free version

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A key operated switch might be ideal for this purpose. If you need to insert a key to operate the switch, you will likely not do it accidentally.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
SATA drives depending on the AHCI modus active in the BIOS are hot pluggable, with the correct drivers, under Win 7, o.k. - not the system drive itself. So with a SATA docking station is not a problem to get a backup drive running at any time, and to turn it off and take it out again later. And with a docking station, in a 3.5" slot in your chassis you don't need to make any hardware modifications, installing switches whatever, it's all very easy. But if you switch off /pull out a drive during data transmission you loose the data and may create Master File table screw ups, but that's not different to disconnecting USB drives at the wrong time

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
if the message was read properly there is a sentence. "shut down computer". Yes, you can add some drives on and off on the fly but you need to carefully do this as per prior issues about bios and os.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
:fl Me thinks, I'll switch to Win 8.1 and leave Win 10 for another day, I taught it was suppose to solve problems not make more…:th

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here's an older contraption I used to use. There is no damage to the power lines on the PSU.
Just get 1-2 molex splitter. Wire the switch into the 12 and 5 v lines. Leaves the grounds connected. I used that switch because it fit into a DB9 serial port cutout on the case. You can also use a tiny toggle switch as well.Then use a molex to sata adapter on connect to the drives. The middle molex plug connect to the PSU line.
Just a matter of using the adapters I had lying around. Eazy Peazy and I had full speed backups not limited to USB2.0 speeds or the ability to carry out multiple OSes with total security. Before USB3.0. Much easier to switch the PC on, do a backup at full speed of a full size 7200rpm HD and then power down. Flip switch down and then reboot. Much less spave and handling of carrying a USB portable drive and it only cost nothing as I had the adapters lying around.
I've had software selective booting and it was not always secure depending on the code of the application I preferred this setup. I no longer use it as I have more PCs now as a result of upgrades. However for someone wanting multiple PCs for security etc. This setup works well.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:fl Me thinks, I'll switch to Win 8.1 and leave Win 10 for another day, I taught it was suppose to solve problems not make more…:th
C'mon, TH. Man up. You have 30 days to switch back from Windows 10 to your old 7/8.1.

Besides, I want to see how you do before I do it. :D

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Since I did it and switched off the undesirable bits, it has performed faster than Win 7, but looks similar in most aspects, runs Mozilla OK, no regrets!:)

No more problems with Samsung SSDs, once I had reset the partitions.

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
An interesting development, I tried loading my old Win 7, which I retained as a complete setup of the old system on a previous SSD, i.e. I unplugged my Win10 SSD and plugged in my Win7 SSD and MS informed me it was an illegal copy.

So Win10 is not a free upgrade, they have cancelled my Win7 in exchange!!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So Win10 is not a free upgrade, they have cancelled my Win7 in exchange!!
Weeeellll, that is part of an upgrade for any payware. You cannot run both the old and new upgrade versions simultaneously, unless the app is poorly secured. Win 10 upgrade is a free upgrade, not a free Operating System. :(

You can revert back to your previous version of Windows as long as you have not been running Win 10 for more than 30 days - that's the trial period Microsoft built in to the mix. Any longer than that and it's a done deal. You are running a registered version of Windows 10.

Maybe (probably not) a call to MS and nicely asking to go back to your earlier version of MS might work, since MS probably keeps on record what registered versions of Windows you have run and when you updated. They would have to flip a switch of some kind to allow you to reuse your Win 7 key again while cancelling out any future upgrade to Win 10 from that key.