Why shouldnt I sell the new OEM chipped carts if I refill?

buzzly

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am receiving a Canon MP970 in 2 days. I refill my current pre-chipped ip6000D using Hobbicolors UW so refilling chipped carts is new to me.

If I am eventually going to lose the Ink Monitor function with my new chipped carts after they run out, so why not sell these carts on eBay now (may be for $50-60). I can start refilling with cheap non-OEM carts right from the beginning.

Anything wrong with my logic? Or am I missing something?

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Buzzly,

Your new MP970 does use the chipped carts CLI-8 and PGI-5. The MP970 will not run without chips. If you replace the carts with cheap non-OEM carts, you will have to remove the chips from your OEM carts and put them on the non-OEM carts.

Your OEM carts without chips are not really worth anything, as they won't run in any printer using those types.

When you have emptied the OEM carts, you can refill them and the printer will run with your refills, after it warns you about that, tells you your warrantee may be no good, and turns off your ink monitoring. Don't let that stop you from refilling. It is worth it in savings.

buzzly

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for a quick reply. Now I understand. So, I better take good care of those OEM carts so they will last for many refills.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to note, there's absolutely nothing stopping you from finding a supply of empty OEM cartridges that still have the chips and using those...

Done that a few times myself so I know it works... It won't demand new OEM's to start the printer or anything daft like that but it WILL give the usual warnings.. Hope that helps.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
buzzly said:
Thanks for a quick reply. Now I understand. So, I better take good care of those OEM carts so they will last for many refills.
A bit more info for you.

Your OEM carts may start to get sort of balky after 5 or more refills. If you detect that the ink is not flowing too well, you may need to purge the carts. This means flushing them completely with warm water, drying them, and then refilling.

Take a look at this procedure developed by Grandad35. He uses his carts over and over. It pays to have two or more sets to enable purging and drying with no rush.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/docs/canon-BCI-6-cartridges.php

buzzly

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great infomation.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Don't let purging scare you, Buzzly. I have refilled my IP4200 for over a year and have never purged any of my CLI-8's. I did purge my PGI-5 every few months because I could see that ink was spread into the sponge slower when ink was being filled. I am refilling with ink from Hobbicolors too. They do advise in their refill instruction that only PGI-5 ink cartridge needs occasional purge but not CLI-8s.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Cannonfodder,

Could you tell me how to purge the larger PGI-5Bk/BCI-3eBK, since the pictures depict only the BCI-6/CLI-8 type of cartridges ? Can I use the same tubing or should I use a wider one ?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Didn't someone have a much more refined adaptor for purging the CLI-8 cartridges somewhere?!!.. I can't find it for the life of me

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Grandad made a purge adaptor from a plastic cartridge holder. He drilled through the pad that seals the outlet hole and attached a fitting to which he attached plastic tubing. I don't have the reference, but, as I recall, it was in the long thread about purging carts.