websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
mikling said:
... I am wounded.
Nope... that's magenta ink stains again.. ;)

...Sorry, couldn't help myself... :D
*gets coat*

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sealing of the rubber plugs is not a problem with the user who is conscientious to look after it carefully. Unfortunately you are likely to be different from the norm in your actions. You would believe what happens out there with some users.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
I do not sell the ones that are self priming. Like I said those went into the garbage dump. I am wounded.

If you look at the pictures and read carefully you will see that they are not identical.

These are the ones that I am selling for the R2400 as per the listing. They are obviously very different to anyone taking the time to read and understand.
My reply wasn't meant as an offend and on a first view of the small pictures they look very the same. And not everyone rips off the lable to look at at internals. :cool:

I have a set of cartridges from you. I have problems of inserting the rubber plug of the vent hole. At about 70% depth the plugs sticks to the cartridge due to high friction and then further presseure only deforms the plug instead of slipping it further in the vent hole. That becomes better if the plugs are lubed.
The plugs of the ink hole suffered a bit of rubber compression set and can easily be removed and inserted compared of the second set of plugs for the vent hole.

Nevertheless I had bleeding cartridges after refil (Ink ran out of the print head in parking position, even spilled on the paper during the first prints). So can I create the tiny vacuum after refill by sucking out some air of the vent hole? Normal syringes fit very well in the vent hole. Could this be done while the cartridge is in the printer or should it be removed?

Regards
Lothman

Edit: ist there a chance to reset the chips manually? If on cartridge is empty normally I refill all the others but then I have not found a way to reset the others.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When the refill plug is released, the internal negative pressure is lost. After the printer is reinitiated, the priming process pulls ink out and reestablishes a negative pressure internally. This is because air enters the tank side at the bottom. This is similar in concept to the Canon cartridge reservoir tank.
Until the negative pressure. sets up again, the potential to drip is there if the plug is left open too long. If drips occur, it will go away after more use as the ink is taken out of the cartridge or one head clean. In this case feeding some sheets of plain paper and printing something with a high coverage will be better than a head clean.

What can also happen is also this. If you fill the cartridge very full, to the point the ink is in the path of the plug or all the way to the top of the refill hole, the plug will act as a piston and push ink out of the printhead nozzles as it is being inserted and droplets will hang on the underside of the printhead. These droplets will hang on the underside and randomly drop off when you print. This took me a long while to figure out what was going on. So again, after messing with the cartridges always print a page with high coverage with some plain paper before inserting some fine papers. This allows the cartridges to stabilize.

Epson's design uses the ink inside to create this negative pressure itself by routing it down a passage. This is part of the clever design that the aftermarket cannot copy for obvious reasons. Epson's design is hard to follow when taken apart but worth the exercise to understand the steps they take 1. prevent refilling 2. how they feed the ink 3. why it works so well. All patented.

As soon as the cartridge is removed, the negative pressure is essentially lost and there is a valve at the outlet that is spring actuated that stops the ink from leaking out. When you insert the cartridge the ink spigots reopen these valves up to allow ink to flow again.

If you lose prime in the round bulb, it is better to reverse feed the cartridge and fill the cartridge from the outlet. Make sure you remove the refill plug to relieve the pressure though and this should be done over a surface or towel you don't care for as ink can easily drip out if you are not careful.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Mikling, any chance to reset the autoset cartridges on refill (harware based or softwaretools)?

ian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have both types of the refillable cartridges here and I have had a fairly good run with both types. I have sold around 100 sets of these cartridges with mixed results. I have had 3 people bring them back for poor printing quality on the paper, and maybe 4 people that have told me their printer didnt take the chip. so thats around 7 sets which gives me around the 7% fail rate which is not to bad. However. I would rather have 0% fail on them. So this is what i have been playing around with. I am using the original Epson 73N cartridges and refilling them. What i have done is take the original chip out and replace it with one of my auto reset chip. I had to cut out some of the casing on the OEM cartridge and also cut down the auto reset chips plastic housing then i used a hot glue gun to glue the chip in place. Now i have seen that there are two types of cartridge they use on these 9 pin cartridges one has a spring behind the OEM chip which looks like it is for a one way valve for air or something. The other cartridge doesn't have a spring behind the chip. So far my test printer has accepted the chip and the printer prints fine.

I fill the cartridge the same way as the older 7 pin cartridges but you need to drill a hole in the top of the cartridge where is says "push". You must drill through two layers of plastic then put your "E" valve in and fill as normal. I am using Epson TX100 to test the cartridges it is only early days yet and i am not sure how stable this way will be at refilling the cartridges but i will keep testing and let you know the results.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I dare to ask again ;) are there any refillable cartridges which can be reset from the user? For example when they were refilled when they were still 50% full.

Can the original chips be removed, put on the refillable cartridges and be reset by a resetter. Or can original epson cartridges be refilled (I'm asking for the r2400)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Refill of epson OEM cartridges seems to be very difficult. There are chip resetters, but apart from the chips it is the body which is designed to prevent it. With valves and walls and bars (see the picture of the open epson OEM cartridge)

How to refill and reset altogether (before the message to replace is coming) - I don't know. I would like to do it, but with my refillable cartridges and chips it don't work. I have to wait for the printer message.

Giorgos_V.

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
As an amateur photographer, I have an Epson R1900 printer for home use. I 've bought a refillable system & inks from PrecisionColors.
Last week I read about a refillable system named "A3B Refillable cartridge system Epson" at http://www.cartridge-webshop.com/in...79&action=article&group_id=17&aid=296&lang=EN . They say that is about a tubeless cartridge system for Epson, easy to use, just use as the original cartridge. The set contains 1 holder with automatic reset chip and 3 refillable cartridges for each color. Cartridge Capacity is 14ml, 2.5x more than normal Cartridges.
http://www.cartridge-webshop.com/in...-system-epson&action=page&group_id=17&lang=EN
Do you have any idea about this system? Is that reliable? Does anyone use this system?
Thanks in advance.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This 3 resetter:
http://www.druckerpatronentankstell...ON-CHIP-RESETTER-Not-for-711801--1055611.html

works on the autoreset chip fitted cartridges from Mikling (chubs380 on ebay). So I can reset all the cartridges when refilling and don't have to wait for the low level alarm and therefore don't have to run through the cleaning cycles of the printer. The only thing to bother ist. that the adapter doesn't fit for the R2400 cartridges, I have to glue in a small distance washer or adjust position by hand while pressing into the resetter.