Which Pigment Ink for Epson 1500W?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Yes, CMYK of the purging pattern is not the same as CMYK ink.

I don't have any table to calculate this relation, but somewhere I found these data as an example for printing "pure" magenta:
Color of the magenta sent by the computer: R 255 / G 0 / B 255
Color used by the printer: C 33 / M 78 / Y 0 / K 0

This is a problem when you want to estimate any ink mixing..
..you have to use QTR "calibration mode" to get the correct pure printer colors

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is a tiny bit of another colour mixed into the cyan Magenta and yellow swatches
yes, those color patches are not the pure ink colors, but since I print with the same driver settings for different inks I just take that 'color contamination' .

the black swatch has more of cyan magenta and yellow in it than it has black.

no, not really, there is more black ink in pure printed black than other inks. I'm testing that separately when I get a new printer running. For one of the tests I replace the black ink with my ink dilutant as a clear ink, and when printing 'black' I can see how much other ink is added - some cyan is typically added to the black ink, improving the black level, but this cyan does not prevent the black to fade into brown after a while. And I'm testing this way the function of the grayscale option - does it use just the black ink along a grayscale wedge with the grayscale option on, or does the driver start mixing the gray tones with the color inks regardless.
And there are interesting differences in this respect depending on the paper selection and printer model.
Just to give an example - the R265 on normal paper prints a grayscale ramp just using the black ink with the grayscale option on, but mixes grays from the colors with a glossy or matte paper selection, just an image is converted in grayscale values. The R800 uses the matte ink on normal paper just for the real black RBG=0,0,0 only but very quickly starts mixing colors with RGB inks around L=10 and up with some black only up to that level. But all that is another playground, it is interesting to see what the driver is doing but there is no way the user has any control over that.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I checked again for the fading targets in the kitchen and the living room, lightness changes of the patches are just above measuring tolerances but not visible at all, this after 140 days, with EV6 ink by precisioncolors, so I'm closing this test run as well.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
O.k., I kept this little patch sheet at its place, and I'm now checking it again after 200 days in the living room - there are no further measurable changes, and they are not visible either - EV6 inks by PC - so much of such testing till yearend.
EV6 Fading.jpg