where is canon in the inkjet market

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
what percentage of the inkjet market do people think canon has, in the northeast usa canon does very little advertising. When you look in the sale papers you will see 6 or more hps, a hand full of epsoms, a couple lexmarks, and now kodak, and 1 or 2 canons. It appears that canon has sold their printhead and indivual tank system to hp, if they were really trying to stop the refillers they would have gone to a non-transparent cartridge a long time ago. Between canon's cameras, business copiers i would think that the consumer inkjet division was not very important to them especially since going to hp with their ink tanks. Just wondering where canon is going with their inkjet division

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon has been very poor in marketing their inkjet printers. It has been like that always. By discontinuing large and transparent ink cartridges their market share will only shrink not growing. I am not sure I will buy another Canon printer again.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
nche11, I'm not sure why you wouldn't buy Canon again because of poor marketing...or new cart design. Sort of a "Huh?"

I, too, have noticed that Canon doesn't have much presence in the Sunday ads or at the Big Boxes. Yet, their printers are very much in use world wide and reviewed by the major web sites. Perhaps they aren't as willing to cut marketing deals with the supply companies, I don't know. And yet, lots and lots of them out there, probably only behind Epson in fan base.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
It's because of the newer smaller non transparent ink cartridges for their new printers.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Also - the only Canon printers I see in the weekly ads are the AIO units and not just printers.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I can never understand why Canon does such a lousy marketing job for its printers. Now that the cartridges are so tiny it won't matter if they do a better job in marketing any more.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
nche11 said:
It's because of the newer smaller non transparent ink cartridges for their new printers.
Your average consumer doesn't have a clue about cartridge capacity, nche11. You're projecting your own dissatisfaction onto the ignorant public. If the public was knowledgeable on these matters, they never would have bought any 3 colors in 1 cart printers.

When I was looking for an upgrade for my old Canon printers a year ago, I did discover this cartridge change fact and bought one of the last that uses the full size carts, a Pixma iP4300. I like it so much that I bought another last month super cheap as a back up or for parts. Cheaper than a new head! And I have my recently bought Pro 9000. So, I won't have to worry about small carts for awhile.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Paul Verizzo said:
nche11 said:
Your average consumer doesn't have a clue about cartridge capacity, nche11. You're projecting your own dissatisfaction onto the ignorant public. If the public was knowledgeable on these matters, they never would have bought any 3 colors in 1 cart printers.
Maybe this is what Canon has in mind. It is probably true that the majority general public has no clue about ink cartridge size or capacity. When people get FREE printer for a purchase of a piece of IT equipment they will accept the free box that will crank out some colorful pages. But when ink runs out they send the box with the plastic machine in it to the landfill. I remember seeing a report a few years ago that depicted a number showing the percentage of printers that use refill kit worldwide. The number was around 30% something like that and was still growing. Things might have changed a bit. Maybe Canon already feels that there is not much profit to make any more so they don't desire to push further. I think if Canon leaves HP will eat the free lunch.