Using custom ICC profile (Canon MX870)

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've recently made a profile for CANON MX870 using plain paper.
For a reason I cannot quite understand, standard profile is not the best thing Canon has made to date. While copy function work very well, printing from PC does not.

With a quick profile using Profile Prism I get much better color reproduction using PS to print (PS selects my profile and leads driver to bypass all settings).

Before I tell you what I did (what seemed logic to me), leading me to a VERY green print, can someone tell me:

1) how to get this profile to be standard profile everytime I use the printer with plain paper?
2) is this possible even keeping Canon driver to select the best profile for other papers?

TIA,

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
I'll take a stab seeing as I recently purchased Profile Prism (even though I haven't created a Plain Paper profile.

1) What application are you using to print and is it ICC aware?
2) From what I understand, the Canon driver doesn't use ICC profiles (at least my iP4500 doesn't).

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My driver has ICC, but just don't don't how to use it correctly.
I need the driver to use a given profile for all printings (usually plain paper) - I usually use Lightroom which has options to use other profile for my photo paper and I don't have any problems in this department (LR or PS).

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Using my IP4500 Properties as an example, in the Main tab, Color/Intensity section, change it to Manual and click on Set. There is a Color Correction section where you should be able to select your ICC profile. Something like that.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Why do you want to profile for plain paper? Plain papers are never good enough for colors and there are so many different ones out there. I have found that the default is plenty good.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nche11 said:
Why do you want to profile for plain paper? Plain papers are never good enough for colors and there are so many different ones out there. I have found that the default is plenty good.
Well, I find plain paper profile to be way off... I find it strange too as copy function works very well.

msmart, yes I have those options and then:
1. Driver (does select icc automatically)
2. Icm (RGB or AdobeRGB)
3. None

my guess is to use 1. and then select my profile... But then I will lose auto select ing based on profile.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

Getting back to this issue. I've tried a few think to no avail...

Here is an example of my problem (from left to right):

A. Without color management;
B. With profile loaded in Windows Color Management and printer driver set to Automatic
C. Profile select in Lightroom, driver without color management

Notes:
1. I used Lightroom to print and I was very carefull verifying each setting;
2. I deleted all CANON ICM files from Windows (the ones installed with drivers);
3. My profile was made with Profile Prism;

As you can see, there is something VERY WRONG with driver profile interpretation.
Oppinions please :cool: ...

scandn.jpg

Wil

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
1. The profile must be proper. I never could get consistent results from Prism Profile. A hardware solution is much better. But in any event the profile must be made with the proper source specified (Plain).

2. When printing from any color managed application (Lightroom, Qimage, etc.) it is necessary to deselect everything in the Canon print driver. All color management must be handled by the printing application.

3. The print driver settings are similar for most Canon printers. I have a Pro9000 II and here is how to set up that driver.

Canon Pro9000 Mark II Print Diver Settings
In the print driver:
Main Tab
Media Type: "Plain" in this case
Print Quality>Custom>Set>Quality (As set when the profile was made)>Halftoning>Diffusion
Color/Intensity>Manual>Set>Matching>None

Effects Tab
Nothing selected

4. Then in the printing application, select the proper profile and have the application do the color management.

5. Make sure that the Windows so called color management stuff is turned off. It is very bad.

6. There is no way to get good color if the Canon Print Driver does any color management.

Hope that helps.
Wil

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wil,

My problem must be something else.
I used Profile Prism before and it works well - I don't expect it to be a top notch profiling solution, but it works to get rid of problems created by the lack of fidelity third party inks sometimes introduce.

As you can see, the picture from the right is corrected as it should (with LR or PS works well), and the picture in the middle is wrongly correct - same profile, VERY diferent result.

It must be something to do the way Canon driver/Windows uses profiles. As I cannot say Canon driver to use xpto.icm directly, I must use Windows resources and tell Canon driver to use those resources. Is that correct?
Remember, my problem is just to get a given profile to be used by Canon driver for all 'normal' printings - just that. My profiles are ok.

ps - by the way, I'm using profiles made by Profile Prism with photo paper with very good results