Unplugging printer after power off

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
Is there a reason why Canon recommends unplugging the printer(mine is a Pixma MP600) after the power off cycle completes?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Are you sure they are not just saying that if you want to unplug the printer, wait until the power off cycle completes? You shouldn't unplug the printer with the power on or especially while it is doing something, even powering down but you don't have to unplug it just because it is off.

billkunert

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Envy 5530e
There is a section in the manual called "Keeping the best printing results" and says that to avoid drying of the print head and clogging of the nozzles ", you should turn off machine and when the power lamp has gone out unplug power cord or turn off power strip. Page 51 of MP600 manual. Just wondering what machine will do while turned off and plugged in.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
With a stand-alone printer I don't think there is any difference with leaving the plug in or out once you power down, let the printhead park itself, and see that the panel lights are out. Unplugging the printer prior to the normal power down functions leaves the printhead subject to drying and clogging, as you mentioned. Perhaps the intent of the instruction is to let you know NOT to unplug or turn off the power strip UNTIL the power lamp has gone out. Sometimes the English syntax is a bit convoluted with products made outside an English speaking country. Having lived in Japan for two years I do have experience with translations for commercial product instructions from that country. With the terrific influx of products from many countries we see this all the time here.

The other possibility, which I know nothing about with multi-function printers, is that there is a "ready" mode when the unit is turned off to avoid the need for warm up of the scanner function or some other function of the printer. This possibility, however, shouldn't affect the printer or printhead in its power down parking function.