Unclogging Canon Printheads

JimDandy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, I bit the bullet and cracked her open. Wow, wow, wow, there was a lotta dried-up ink all through the pigment purge path. I can't believe how narrow some of the passageways are, too. I used a fine-gauge, bent, blunt-ended needle on my syringe filled with window cleaner to push my way through clogs and clean things out. Only downside is that I might have poked a small hole or two in the tubes. I could replace those, although the secondary (rear) tube attached to each well is seemingly impossible to reattach if you can wrench it loose from the bottom of the well (an area that's just inaccessible).

I'll report back later if this turned out to be successful.

JimDandy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Seeking more advice ...

Elaborating on what I said above, I think I poked a very small hole in the exit purge tube (after the pump) and also may have in the tube that extends only from the rear of the purge well to an "arm" of some kind, toward the back of the printer. I'm not sure what this tube is for (this is the 2nd hole that also mystifies ghwellsjr), and not sure if it has a hole in it, but I am sure it's only accessible by disassembling the purge unit, and I can tell right now that's not worth it.

The replacement for the larger, exit tube from the purge pump can be had for about 20 cents US (plus probably $20 shipping), while the purge unit can probably be had for $20.

Should I reassemble and test things out, and call it good if it seems to be working, or am I risking a re-clot if I did, in fact, poke holes in those tubes, and would I be better off going ahead and buying the purge unit and exit tube, just to be on the safe side?

With a new, refurbed printhead and a new purge unit, I'm approaching the cost of the printer itself, but I also don't like filling landfills and it was a good printer at one time.

Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents? Thanks.

JimDandy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm awaiting a new purge unit, figuring that'll be my best chance for resuscitating my printer.

But now I've got a mystery part that fell out of the printer when I disassembled. Anyone know what this is and/or where it goes? Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, see this thread, near the end of the first post. Mine were white but in some printers like yours they are black.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
As to replacing the purge pump, I found that just removing one from a printer that I had already decided to abandon, was a nightmare, I can't image trying to put a new one back in.

But I have found that the only problem with the purge pump is cleaning the dried ink out of the tubing which I was able to do on another clogged printer by extending the output tubing and attaching a syringe which I loaded with Windex and forced in and out until it would go through and up into the tray that holds the purge pad. Of course I also had to replace the waste ink absorber pads that line the bottom of the printer and then switch to a different pigment black ink that would not clog those absorber pads. What is the "decent aftermarket ink" that you are using?

JimDandy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Yes, see this thread, near the end of the first post. Mine were white but in some printers like yours they are black.
Thanks. Wow, you know everything about these printers!

JimDandy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
As to replacing the purge pump, I found that just removing one from a printer that I had already decided to abandon, was a nightmare, I can't image trying to put a new one back in.

But I have found that the only problem with the purge pump is cleaning the dried ink out of the tubing which I was able to do on another clogged printer by extending the output tubing and attaching a syringe which I loaded with Windex and forced in and out until it would go through and up into the tray that holds the purge pad. Of course I also had to replace the waste ink absorber pads that line the bottom of the printer and then switch to a different pigment black ink that would not clog those absorber pads. What is the "decent aftermarket ink" that you are using?
So far, I've successfully removed, cleaned, and replaced the purge unit, but as I said previously, I think I poked small holes in a couple of tubes, so I think that would end up creating a new clogging problem. Hence, I ordered the new unit (for less than $18). My pads are actually pretty clean throughout, and I think will be fine for a long while.

The aftermarket ink I've been using is Hobbicolors, which are generally highly recommended. Any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks again.

JimDandy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
One last request for you (as if you haven't provided enough already) or anyone else here who's ever taken apart a Pixma MP. I just got Canon to send me a release arm (see above), because search high and low, I could not find a second one that fell out anywhere. Anyway, another part fell out, too, and I can see it in my service manual, but the drawings are so bad, I can't tell how exactly it's supposed to go back in. It's a torsion spring (the kind with two arms that push out, and one arm's longer than the other), part number QC2-0039-000.

The part is labeled 11 in this diagram. The only thing I can see to do with it, offhand, is pictured below (circled in red, picture taken from the side of the printer where the purge unit sits - that's the printhead motor just behind the spring). But I can't see what purpose it's serving in that position.

Man, I'll be glad when I get this thing back together. BTW, I also got an entirely new purge unit, so I think everything will be good when it's reassembled.

Thanks

JimDandy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow, I'm amazed there's something you don't know about these printers. Thanks for letting me know, though. If anyone here has opened their printer up and see's how that spring is supposed to be placed, please let me know.