Unclogging Canon Printheads

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ganguy said:
My 1p 5000 which is about 5 years old stopped printing all colors during a DVD print. I tried all suggested methods, washed the printhead, soaked 2 nights in distilled water, then head cleaner, did the cleaning, deep cleaning and nozzle check. No color, and a poor black grid, many nozzles plugged. I tried a print head realignment, and all it did was shoot out the paper and go to flashing orange.
Any thoughts? I'd hate to give this baby up - I use it about equally for color (photo), DVD and text printing. I refill with Hobbicolors inks.
ganguy
With what you describe it sounds like a new print head should solve your problem.
But I do hope it is the print head and not something else as it's a little bit unusual to just stop in the middle of a print job.:(

ganguy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's amazing, it looks like new after I cleaned it up. Any suggestions on a source for a new one? Not much on eBay.
gg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Call Canon Sales. If they still make your print head, Canon may be the best price. Otherwise, search Google on the model number of your print head. Call your local/regional authorized Canon repair shop. Saw one seller on eBay with an IP500 print head. Big money.

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
inkoholic said:
So the white stripes on my nozzle check print (see previous page) could also be caused by electrical issues? This thing is getting more complicated :/:p I don't want to mess up my brother's printer as well. Don't really know what to do now: repair my MP610 and risk spending a lot of money, or ditch the 610 (which is still working OK but not great) and get a new printer. I could get an MG5150, or an HP Officejet 8500 (seems to have the lowest OEM ink costs by far).
If you want to keep your MP610 running, then there are a few things you can try.

1) Buy new OEM Canon cartridges to replace the problem cartridges from your nozzle check. Alternatively, you could take your cartridges and put them in the other printer you mentioned to see if they work without issues. No harm should occur from cartridge swapping -- unless you let the printer print without ink in the print head, which would cause print head failure. From your abbreviated nozzle check images, I don't see complete ink starvation yet, so you should be safe for this test procedure. The idea is to isolate the problem(s). This test will help determine if the cartridges are wholly or partially at fault.

4) Whenever I see straight lines like yours on a nozzle check, I lean towards print head malfunction rather than clog. Nature doesn't do perfect straight lines. Clogs aren't usually perfectly spaced to cause such straight interspersed decreased ink output bands. But you never can be sure, so we try unclogging sometimes before spending $50 plus on a new print head. Then again, sometimes you just get the new print head and be done with it.

Let us know what happens.
Hi, I've made a clear and high quality scan of my nozzle check. You mentioned the print was abbreviated... so to be sure I'm posting the full check. Perhaps something wasn't showing clearly on the previous one, so perhaps you can have one more look on this check?

http://imgur.com/hyzIH.jpg

You mentioned the perfect straight lines in the cyan bars. So if it's printhead malfunction a completely new printhead may be the solution? :) Sorry for any confusion, I'm not too sure what to do now with my printer.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
inkoholic said:
I'm not too sure what to do now with my printer.
Follow the procedures/options I discussed to the best of your ability and desire. Do you have a specific question about my post?

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
inkoholic said:
I'm not too sure what to do now with my printer.
Follow the procedures/options I discussed to the best of your ability and desire. Do you have a specific question about my post?
I thought my first post of the nozzle check print was of poor quality. I don't know if that made any difference, but to be sure I posted a proper scan of the check above. Does anything different show up on the scan? http://imgur.com/hyzIH.jpg

I could try printing with OEM cyan to see if the Canon ink will "heal" the problem. From what you've written buying a new printhead seems the easiest way. I've cleaned my printhead several times now using a different method, and I don't know what kind of cleaning will work as all the previous attempts were unsuccessful. The purge unit seems unlikely as a culprit and is more difficult and expensive to replace, so I don't think I'm going to try that. Moreover I've never repaired printers before and don't want to do more damage.

But in theory, is it possible to keep your printhead 100% healthy when using refill inks? Or at least just as healthy as when using real Canon inks. What I'm afraid of is that the printhead will wear out and deteriorate anyway. In that case I might not buy a printer with a permanent printhead. Then I'd go for combi cartridges which are found in the cheaper printers. Each new cartridge has a fresh new printhead and I've seen even combi cartridges can be refilled. The reason I'm thinking about a combi cartridge printer is because I've seen some prints from a cheap Deskjet F4180. Those looked definitely sharper than those from my MP610. And even the F4180 was using cheap compatible cartridges and not even printing on the best quality. So that's why I'm unsure whether I can rely on permanent printheads. What is your opinion on this? ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
inkoholic said:
I thought my first post of the nozzle check print was of poor quality. I don't know if that made any difference, but to be sure I posted a proper scan of the check above. Does anything different show up on the scan? http://imgur.com/hyzIH.jpg
No. By cropping the nozzle check image, you may have deleted data that would aid in further diagnosis of problems. Your latest image was complete and therefore the most beneficial in diagnosing your problem.

But in theory, is it possible to keep your printhead 100% healthy when using refill inks? Or at least just as healthy as when using real Canon inks.
Anything is theoretically possible given the proper variables. In the real world, there are people who use print heads for extended periods of time or print counts until there is a failure unrelated to an ink clog. For others, trouble occurs with ink clogs because of their habits. The way to minimize your risk of a clogged print head is to use respected aftermarket inks and print on a regular basis. One consensus view is to do at least a nozzle check per week. The idea is to use all the cartridges on a regular basis to decrease the risk of drying of ink within the print head eventually forming a mass large enough to block flow.

So that's why I'm unsure whether I can rely on permanent printheads. What is your opinion on this?
If you will not be able to use your printer regularly, or find the quality of your prints are better with a different printer, then it is entirely your prerogative to go that route. I doubt you'll find many on this forum desiring combi cartridges for a variety of reason. But, each to their own, representative of personal liberty and the freedom of choice printer manufacturers offer and the aftermarket and refilling community augment.

Bottom line: If you are unwilling or unable to complete the potential fixes I outlined, then a new print head should resolve your printing irregularities based on the data you have presented so far. Since you are unwilling or unable to complete the diagnostic procedures I outlined then there is no guarantee of success. Even if you are willing and able to complete the diagnostic or repair procedures I outlined there is still no guarantee of success.

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the info stratman, I'm going to test the purge system like you suggested. You mentioned dripping Windex on the purge pads. I've checked the illustrations in the service manual and parts catalogue and I can find a purge unit and ink absorber kit. But no specific purge pads, what do you mean by those? Images from the parts catalogue:

PURGE UNIT http://i.imgur.com/ZVL5K.jpg (are the black holes the purge pads, right above the 1 in the illustration? I guess ink drips into these holes?)
INK ABSORB. http://i.imgur.com/yah8O.jpg

My ink pads are 46% full (I've checked the service mode) so I guess the purge system should be working, or at least it has been working.