U150 error - unrecognized cart on Canon Pixma MP970

emmaachile

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have this same error with an MG5220 printer and i took a close look at the contact that lights the carts and i saw ink particles there. I will be going out to get isoprophyl to clean the contacts. I saw somewhere that it should not be longer than 10 mins cleaning time.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling said:
I've lost two printers that displayed a message that indicated that carts were not correct when in fact they were the correct ones. Initially it displayed it and then on reinsertion it went away only to appear again at a future date and then totally not recognizing the correct cartridges....even brand new OEM ones. It was not the printhead but the logic board. The two that went this way was an MP970 and and MP980.

Now here's the interesting part. Both printers had been fine, put away for a few months and then the problem surfaced on using it again. Recently something similar came up with an iP6600 that indicated that the wrong printhead was installed....of course not. But the message went away after it was left sitting powered up for a few hours. This machine had been stored for about 6 months.
Does that mean that Canon printers cannot be stored.. no not at all. Something happens to "some" that are brought out of storage.. What it is I don't know. A mystery and will probably remain so.
This problem you had of reactivating printers from storage is an interesting one.

There is a possibility that it can be caused by humidity, condensation, cold weather or heat and by leaving a printer to stand for 24 hours
to acclimatise itself to its new working environment might allow it to settle down before any use.

They can be pesky buggers at times and extremely hard to understand most times, but I still love them..:hugs