Think it time to pull out new head!

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Canon BJC-8200 that I had stored as a backup. Several months ago pulled it out again after having some problems that will mean the need of a new printhead for a S800.

Now (after being used, cleaned & stored, used in Dec. of 2004, cleaned & stored, and then pulled out and used again) it started giving a cyan or blue cast to a photo I was trying to print. This last time I got it out I have had to use a high quality setting to keep from having a white line in black; but with that adjustment it has been doing fine until this color cast showed up. So, today I got cleaning carts out. After running those to the point where I got no color with the MIS Purge-6 file I decided to try printing that file with a combination of one color & others cleaning carts. As I was working my way through found the when I had the Magneta in I would get Magneta where Magneta was supposed to be; but also where it would ordiniarly print black, cyan, & light magneta! In an effort to see if it was the cart or the head I put another color in the Magneta slot. Any other color that I would put in the Magneta slot would print the MIS Purge-6 file with color in the wrong places as well as the right one as described above.

Then tried printing with different colors in the slot where the black usually goes (with use of cleaning cart inbetween each color). Any of the six put in that slot would just give that color where black is supposed to be.

The above experiment has led me to believe that the problem is in the head rather than any of the carts. I believe that it is time to pull out the extra BC-50 for BJC-8200 printhead that I have on hand (unopened from time when I got it as part of compensation for mutiple goofs by Canon). And NO already found that a BC-50 head does not work in the S-800 earlier using the one that is now giving problems in the BJC-8200. So, it will need to be used in the 8200.

What do you think?
Jane

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Sounds like you may have a stubborn clog. Since you have another printhead as a backup, there's no reason not to try flushing out the existing printhead with running tap water. I have a similar situation with an ancient BJC-3000 which is used maybe once or twice a year. The head is usually clogged from dried out ink and cleaning cycles won't unclog it. Running warm tap water through the head always clears it up (does the same on my iP4000 head as well). You won't damage any of the circuitry by getting the head wet since the sensitive parts are sealed.