The all New Canon Maxify

Canon4Home

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5050
be Here is the all new 2500 cart for the Maxify beside a CLI-8 and PGI 29 cart, it can take anywhere between 18 to 24 ml. depending on which you use.

View attachment 2085

This shows the new large chip, the next hole is just for centring the cart when fitting, the raised hole is used for detecting the ink levels (Sort of Prism) and the last one is the ink outlet itself. (Very cheaply constructed)
View attachment 2086

Here is one side of the cart which is a semi opaque while the other shows the crazy new ink system for detecting low or out of ink in the cart.

View attachment 2087

Here I have the cover off the cart to show the inner plastic bag and also marked the ink channel that replaces the old prism that was on the CLI-8’s.

View attachment 2088

This one shows the plastic bag cut away and the spring for keeping the bag inflated at all times, please note the small metal mesh with strange groves leading up to it, this is where the ink enters/exits the detection system for indicating low ink.

View attachment 2089

These carts are very easy to fill, in fact to easy but whether the cart will work again in the printer is anybody’s guess because the anti-refill system (Prism) is sealed and once the ink level drops below this then air enters and cannot be removed later.

This cartridge is not very well made, I reckon no money was spent on its construction; it’s cheap and cheerful, all very light plastic and designed to fail later.

The only money spent from what I can see was on the new ink detection system, and as to how it works well that has me baffled for the time being because light has to get into the cart somewhere, hence one side of the cart is not opaque.

I reckon if you wanted to refill these carts then you’d have to do it before the low ink warning but as to how long this will fool the EPROM chip is anybody’s guess, the better and cheaper option will be aftermarket carts with one time chips.

Most of what I have written here is pure guess work and is not exactly factual as yet and can be contradicted by anyone who gets more information when it becomes available later..:hu

Can you share a technique to refill the 2500 cart for the Maxify and a possible recommendation for ink quality to be used for refilling the cart, me and my wife we own a MB5050 and she is printing a lot of projects and tests for students in the class; I've been searching for a CISS Inking Systems but nothing on the market right now and CANON is charging way to high for an OEM cart and for us right now the refill method is the best; if we could apply it on this cart model.

As I understand well the ink level on the cart must not be bellow the empty warning level so when the ink level will be 1/3 of the cart, it will need a refill.

Your support will be welcomed and really appreciated from our part :) I am not sure about my wife students because of the every day tests that she is printing for them.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Refilling these Maxify cartridges are easy but to get them to work continuelesssly may be a difficult thing because of the way they have their ink monitoring prism setup. (Unknown)

As no one to date has reported filling these cartridges it would be a shot in the dark as to how the printer will handle or accept a refilled cartridge, I have refilled the cartridges but never use them in a printer.

You can get the 4 pigment inks for your printer at any good ink supplier like octoinkjet.co.uk or percisioncolor.com depending what part of the world you’re in, because you didn’t mention that.

The Mazify printer can use inks for the Pro 9500 or iPf6400 large format printers range CYMK, you’ll just have to ring or mail them for you first order.

To refill these cartridges is much the same as other Canon opaque bag type cartridges, here is a link to a method that I use that works 100% for which you’ll need a tool like the ones below to get ink into the cartridge.
upload_2015-1-23_12-23-55.png
upload_2015-1-23_12-23-55.png

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...pro-1-cartridge-with-some-photos-part-1.8668/

If you study the method used and copy it then you’ll have no problems but I wouldn’t let these cartridges go below 50% full before refilling because of the new ink monitoring that these cartridges use, you’ll be able to mix your new ink with the ink already in the cartridges. (No waste)

Here is a link to a CISS for the Maxify but I would be very cautious using a CISS of your printer just yet but they do claim to have ARC chips on the compatible cartridges which may be useful..

http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/product.php?productid=1176&cat=55&page=1

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Refilling these Maxify cartridges are easy but to get them to work continuelesssly may be a difficult thing because of the way they have their ink monitoring prism setup. (Unknown)......

Agreed if i was to refill these carts i would probably do it before they become empty, id probably top them up when they ae still a quarter to a half full, then again that may not help, im just guessing it would be more reliable based on prior pics of the design.

Canon4Home

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5050
Thank you for all the advices you all deserve a dinner in the city or at leas a pizza and a beer:) the problem that I am having with my MB5050 Maxify is that I can't figure out how to get the carts out so I can refill it before it goes empty! The printer does not allow me to take them out until they are empty. When I open the door to access the carts they don't slide so I can get them out. Any ideas? Am I missing something? I miss my MX420 to tell you the truth.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to druckerchannel.de it is possible to unlock the cartridge lock and remove a cartridge that is not empty, using a flat blade screwdriver. But this is not recommended, as the cartridge will most likely drip ink, as there is no check valve in the ink outlet. Link here, or a translation here. Also see this post and this.

It looks to me like Canon has taken one more step towards making cartridges/printers totally refill unfriendly.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Thank you for all the advices you all deserve a dinner in the city or at leas a pizza and a beer:) the problem that I am having with my MB5050 Maxify is that I can't figure out how to get the carts out so I can refill it before it goes empty! The printer does not allow me to take them out until they are empty. When I open the door to access the carts they don't slide so I can get them out. Any ideas? Am I missing something? I miss my MX420 to tell you the truth.

You could print something and then yank the power when the carriage is in the middle of the print job. Though if as @PeterBJ mentions above the carts leak its probably not a good idea.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I spose he could if really serious, do the start a print job and pull power technique and then turn the printer upside down before removing the carts which should prevent ink leaks assuming ink outlet is at the bottom of the cart if the ink outlet is to towards one end of a cart stand the printer on the opposite end when removing the cart to prevent ink dripping... A royal PITA to do but could work.