Switching from pigment ink to dye (WF-2540)

tom6667

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Wifey is spending a fortune on ink for her Workforce 2540. I've been refilling my photo printers for years, but she didn't want to go that route, but has changed her mind. Question is, during the transition, should we switch all carts at once (to dye ink) when the first OEM pigment cart goes empty, or can you replace one color at a time? She's not that picky about color matching. I think I've heard that some all-in-ones actually have dye black and pigment colors. I could just be Imagining that, though :).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
are you planning to do refill on this model - or using 3rd party cartridges ? Is it just the pricing of OEM cartridges to switch to dye inks ? You would get as well refill pigment inks for this printer/cartridge model at much lower prices. You are advised to disable all firmware update functionality in the driver, there are frequent reports that 3rd party cartridges may be blocked suddenly. And as soon as a cartridge change is due you should switch all cartridges at this time, you may get some interim error messages, and may have to reseat some of those which were not due for exchange yet. If cartridges won't be accepted at all you need to contact the supplier for replacement.

tom6667

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Yes, mostly cost, but I have been refilling for my cheepee XP-310 with Precision Colors dye ink for a couple of years. The WF2540 takes the same carts. I just can't remember when I transitioned from the original carts whether I tossed them all at once or as necessary. Thanks, and I'm aware of evil firmware updates which usually just make 3rd party carts unusable.