Suggestions for All in one colour printer with refillable carts?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I'm in the UK and need to buy a new AIO printer for general office work.

I have an SX600FW that lasted 1 year of light use before completely clogging and there now has no output. I have run the cleaning cycle, tried the fluid in the ink nozzles inlet trick etc. and still no output. I am reluctant to buy any more carts so I need a new reliable AIO, and given the performance of the Epson they are not top of my list :(

Here is my criteria...

Carts must be refillable
Wifi\Ethernet preferred, but ethernet connection alone would be acceptable
Duplex printing, ADF preferred
Copy/Scan should be good quality

Don't need..

Photo printing
DVD/CD printing

I had selected the MP640 but apart from a few left at crazy prices the only stock is Canon refurb on Ebay.

Any other makes/suggestions?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
I had selected the MP640 but apart from a few left at crazy prices the only stock is Canon refurb on Ebay.

Any other makes/suggestions?
Do not knock "refurb" from the Official Canon seller on e-bay. All the "refurbs" I have seen from this source suggest that the condition is not "secondhand" , but still factory fresh and are described as "refurb" to allow excess (soon to be obsolete) stock to be sold at less than original price. Remember the models after this will not have refillable carts , (at this moment in time).

I am currently monitoring the average price being realised, 81 approx.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Redbrickman I had selected the MP640 but apart from a few left at crazy prices the only stock is Canon refurb on Ebay.
headphonesman Do not knock "refurb" from the Official Canon seller on e-bay
headphonesman is right the printers on that site are brilliant, go for it before they are all gone.. :)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't knocking the Canon Refurb outlet, just making the observation that some retailers are now doubling the price of the printer compared to before Christmas, i.e Amazon now 199 as opposed to 109 in December. Unfortunately I was only beginning to research printers at that stage :(

I'll probably have a go on Ebay, but failing that is there an alternative make/model that would be suitable?

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
I just received my refurb'd MP640 from FedX today. Fortunately I'm in Florida so I only had to pay $63 incl tax for mine. The only reason I bought it was to have a spare
in case my regular 640 gives out. I opened the box and removed the ink carts and the printhead and then sealed it back up and put it on the shelf where it will be if needed.
The printhead and 5 ink carts would have cost me over $100 if bought separately so I'd say I made out like a bandit. I wonder why there is such a price difference between
Europe and the USA?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Mowerman90 said:
I opened the box and removed the ink carts and the printhead and then sealed it back up and put it on the shelf where it will be if needed.
I would recommend that you either remove the styrofoam packing from the box or leave the printer out of the box if you plan to be not using it for many years. The reason is that the styrofoam will outgas and leave a film on the both sides of the scanner glass.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Mowerman90 said:
I opened the box and removed the ink carts and the printhead and then sealed it back up and put it on the shelf where it will be if needed.
I would recommend that you either remove the styrofoam packing from the box or leave the printer out of the box if you plan to be not using it for many years. The reason is that the styrofoam will outgas and leave a film on the both sides of the scanner glass.
I remember you mentioning this in another post I replied to on the 640. I understand what you're saying but to me it seems illogical. First, the entire printer is wrapped in plastic. Second, I can't see how anything could seep between the lid and the glass on the scanner. When it's closed I'm sure it's virtually airtight. Of course over a period of years anything is possible. I think what I might do is tape some 2in packing tape around the gap between the lid and the base in addition to removing the styrofoam. Thanks for the tip!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Mowerman90 said:
ghwellsjr said:
Mowerman90 said:
I remember you mentioning this in another post I replied to on the 640. I understand what you're saying but to me it seems illogical. First, the entire printer is wrapped in plastic. Second, I can't see how anything could seep between the lid and the glass on the scanner. When it's closed I'm sure it's virtually airtight. Of course over a period of years anything is possible. I think what I might do is tape some 2in packing tape around the gap between the lid and the base in addition to removing the styrofoam. Thanks for the tip!
If it is caused by a "gas", your packing tape will probably not prevent the problem since gas can enter through various locations other than the deck lid space.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't knocking the Canon Refurb outlet, just making the observation that some retailers are now doubling the price of the printer compared to before Christmas, i.e Amazon now 199 as opposed to 109 in December. Unfortunately I was only beginning to research printers at that stage :(

I'll probably have a go on Ebay, but failing that is there an alternative make/model that would be suitable?
The reason I made my post for you is that I sensed some hesitation around e-bay purchase on this type of item. I have purchased several different models from Digital River (Canon ebay) , I am also located in the UK and have found the purchase ,communication , payment, dispatch , (and on 1 occasion warranty) , perfect and straight forward in every respect.

The 640 is currently one of their highest sellers , with good reason , it is their best "all rounder" , soon to be discontinued for a (IMHO) less attractive (for us re-fillers) model. I note you do not require some "bells and whistles" at this time , but eventually you might , so " be prepared" , you don`t have to actually use the facilities you dont want( photo printing /DVD print)

You can get another machine without the DVD print , the MP560 ? I think , but for me I would go for the 640 for the amount of money involved.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Headphonesman, you are correct it's nice to have the extra facilities in reserve!

I just bought an MP 640 off the Canon site, so now I'll be looking at a second set of refill ink having just bought a Pro 9000 MKII after Christmas.

Perhaps you can advise if the refurb printers come with a set of carts, as that is not stated, either on the page or on the page which explains refurbished procedures?

One thing to note is that Canon do not support the Ebay redemption (Ebay Plus) discount. I'll have to spend it elsewhere :)

I'm happily awaiting my second printer this month, could become addictive ;)