STUMPED: Canon MX870 - Bad Cyan Nozzle Check - Stripes

Puinsai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey gang,

First timer with a printing issue on my Canon MX870. I have scoured these forums and the net with no luck. Hoping someone might have an idea of what's going on. It seems there is an issue with the Blue Print head. The nozzle check prints fine except that it only prints 100% of the ink on half of the nozzle check. The other half seems to be at 50% resulting in some banding in all of my output. I have tried to link to a scan of the output and the nozzle check below which will illustrate what I am talking about perfectly.

Here's what I have tried:

Facts:
Canon Pixma MX870
All Canon OEM inks - Never used anything else
I have replaced the Cyan Cartridge, the yellow cartridge and the Large Black Cartridge. All inks are full
I have done a "Cleaning" and a "Deep Cleaning" multiple times
I have removed the cartridges and the print head and cleaned it. I did not soak it in hot water for 5 mins but I did clean it. Everything looks super clean.
I have cleaned the timing strip even though it was very clean
I have restarted multiple times
I have done auto Head alignment test multiple times and I have also done the manual alignment multiple times
We use this printer regularly and it didn't sit idle for any extended period of time
We always have it on and never manually turn it off unless we want to
All inks are the proper spec for this printer

I tried posting a link to the output from my printer but I couldn't post an image because I am a newbie. Kind of a bummer but I understand.

You can try to navigate to puinsai.com/ and then after the forward slash just type in "bad-nozzle-check1.jpg" (without the quotes) and that is the actual link.

Really appreciate any input because I am not sure what to do at this point. Repairing these printers is never worth it but this seems like it can be fixed. Should I buy a new print head?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Puinsai
You described your print problem very well and even without the help of your nozzle check it was clear
what your problem was but then on seeing it that certainly confirmed it.

I am afraid you done a lot of unnecessary things to your printer just to be told you needed a new print head sorry.. :(

Puinsai

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Hat! I really appreciate the feedback. I couldn't find any posts that described this issue and I thought if it was just the print head taking a dump I thought I would see more. I see some print heads on Ebay that OEM and around $54. You think just replacing the head will do the trick? Great. I have always bought OEM inks but it looks like everyone here is using some 3rd party like Octoink. I might just have to give that a whirl. Cheers!

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had a similar issue, described here ... http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4705 ... (sorry the photos have gone AWOL, and ignore my first wrong suggestion that this was a software problem).

Definitely a faulty printhead in my case.

It would be worth running the service test print for additional confirmation, if you can get the right instructions for running the test on your MX870. Post 4 from "The Hat" here might work (unconfirmed) ... http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6165

Ian