Spongeless cartridge from inkjetreset.com

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have a box of these which I refuse to sell....over 100. They are meant primarily for CISS systems and they are poorly designed at the ink outlet. If these are used for refillables, they are an accident waiting to happen as they always trap air each time the cartridge is removed and replaced, Sometimes a translation of an Epson type item to Canon might not make sense, This is a definition of that situation.

siusiuenen

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had try them and i have bad experience with them. Maybe i got defective ones but as Pharmacis have said we already have a best ones is OEM cart so i don't deals with it anymore. Up until now, i think which's designed close to OEM is the better. Spongeless is for Epson and Sponge is for Canon. Things will change in future but it's doesn't border anymore because i'll stick with OEM cart.

mapsy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Oem carts are sturdy and excellent and they already have a chip so they are a good choice. We just got in some trays for them, so if anyone wants a set of trays for their oem carts, let me know. I have not taken pictures yet or posted them, but we got them in stock last night.

A full set of these will keep your cartridge steady and sealed while you refill them. We had a customer ask us for them and finally got some in. We expect to sell a set of five for $7.50 including first class shipping in the usa. I would post a picture but I have not taken them yet.

Here's a picture showing the orange tray on one of our empty refillable sponge carts. This tray is identical to the ones I am talking about. In a set of five, you get four cli trays and one pgi tray. These will fit either cli-8/pgi-5 or cli-221/pgi-220 cartridges. We sell the trays without the carts, so you can use them when refilling your own OEM cartridges.

3416_cu_emp_refill_cart.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mapsy

I have tried these orange clip trays and they are indeed very handy to use while refilling generic cartridges. But and its a big but they dont work on OEM cartridges because they damage the push clip that holds the cartridge in place in the print head. On OEM cartridges you should only use the original orange shoe held on with tape or elastic bands when refilling. I think it would be wise to inform your costumers of that before they buy.. :(

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I've used the orange clips on hundreds of OEMS and they don't damage the push clips. What I have found over the hundreds is that one push clip did get damaged when it was used. When I used the same clip on another OEM it was fine. This indicates to me that the original OEM cartridge was likely faulty or weak. So something is popping up here. I know that the hole size in OEM cartridges vary and it looks like some OEM push clips are also weak and some OEM cartridges will also blow their top under pressure from flushing. Despite that, they are still the best way for refilling.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling

Fortunely I have found the complete opposite on CLI-6 /8s that I use anyway there are a lousy fit. They will however fit nicely on the OEM BK large cartridges..

mapsy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The first time I used one of these on an oem, I was not careful regarding the push clip and I nearly damaged it, but I learned to be more careful with it These trays come in two sizes, the big one for the pgbk and the smaller one for the cli carts. They have a soft insert in the cup that protects the ink flow hole and seals it. Thanks for the input, when we post these for sale, I will make certain to tell customers to be aware of the way they place them onto a cartridge.

I think what we need to do is a little video to show our customers. I am planning to create video clips. I find the easiest way to learn anything is to ask someone to show me how they do it, whether it is installing a new power supply in my computer or using a new camera. I always feel more comfortable after someone has demonstrated the best way they have found to do it.

I've been thinking of making some kind of offer to our customers for video clips that include tips on how to use the products we sell.

We just got a call from a customer this morning about an easier way to use one of our inks. Customers are so innovative and I truly love them.

Thanks again for the help. When I get a video done, I will see if i can post a link here. If anyone here is a video wiz and would like to make one that we can use, let me know. I am not sure what we can trade for it, but I am always open to suggestions.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
These clips are OK for storing cartridges. I use the german durchstich refill method and I do NOT need these clips: no dripping of ink from the outlet port, no stains on my table cloth and ease of mind !!! These clips are essential if you drill a hole above the ink compartment and use the traditional method to prevent an inky disaster.

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I agree with Mikling. These are the best refill clips I've found. They are handier than using the OEM seal with rubber bands. They are also much better than the clips found on G&G cartridges. I have used them with both large and small CLI-6/8s. The retainer ear on some cartridges vary in height making it difficult to snap in place but I have yet to find one that didn't work. Love em!

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Till these day I am still looking for spongeless cartridges or cartridges with lesser sponge.
I had tried some spongeless for CLI-8 series, those that had similar design as Epson are bad to be used on canon. They starve the supply of ink to the printhead.

I had posted quite a long while but haven't seen any response. (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4204)
Anyone had access to these cartridges. This is more commonly found in Europe. I wonder if anyone from Europe happen to see anyone sell these as used empty cartridges, or if they are sold off cheaply because the seller are replacing/ditching their canon printer and had no used of these compatible cartridge, would be kind to drop me an email/pm when you happened to see them. As I wishes to experiment on these cartridges.
3795714212_41f64ea5ed_o.jpg
3794892301_e3eff6fec2_o.jpg

And mapsy,

I would love to experiment on your little sponge cartridges as well. Any of your customers who had problem with these cartridges return these cartridges back to you for refund. And if I could buy them at a fraction to experiment? If not, it's okay.

At post#10, you were saying that some of your users of your cartridge had refilling without capping the ink flow hole. I would not think this is the cause of the problem. In fact, the ink flow hole should be open when refilling as the air coming from the sponge compartment must goes into the empty compartment to exchange ink as the sponge gets absorb with ink. This is similar concept to the canon original cartridge. When you first refill canon original cartridge, you leave the top inlet air hole above the sponge open (the top hole where the maze area is), and inject the ink into the empty compartment, as the sponge gets absorb with ink at about 3/4 or 70-75%, you would use your finger to close the inlet air hole so as to minimize too much ink gets further absorb into the sponge causing it to overfilled. If you notice canon CLI-8 sponge beside the outlet port small filter sponge, it as 2 pieces (top and bottom) . The top part do not gets overfilled with ink.

2959748447_e43e1d0fbf.jpg

At this moment as I don't have physical hold of your cartridges to look at it close up, I would think the likely cause to the problem with the design of your cart could be the design of the passage of the hole where inks flow to the sponge area. Too small a hole could cause problem with the speed of the flow of the air and ink exchange causing the sponge to absorb ink at a slower speed to meet the demand during printing or when the printer perform waste ink cycle. This would cause ink starvation (bearing in mind that canon printhead works by capillary action). Too big a hole either would cause leaking or the sponge absorb too much ink such that too much pressure and causing ink leak inside the printhead.

Another problem would be quality control during production. Some pieces cartridges might have poorly made that might not be noticeable when it leaves the production plant. I had tried skyhorse cartridges before sometime one of the cartridge outlet port filter does not touches the printhead well while all the other cartridges do not have the problem. So it's a hit or misses.

Does all this mean that canon printer cannot use spongeless cartridge? No. Because if we recap this thread (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=18754), the PGI-9 cartridges are actually spongeless. I would say it all depend on the design of the cartridge. But a sponge one works better on canon.