Sorry, still confused... (ink choice)

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
jru said:
Up to now I've used only Hobbicolors, and I found the colors to be very bright, the fading factor to be good, but then I learned from ghwellsjr that the pigment ink was prone to clogging the purge unit/tubing.
I had followed ghwellsjr's posts regarding this issue fairly closely. The ink that caused his purge unit to clog was an old Inktec black pigment ink. He probably never used Hobbicolor's PMT-BK. At least he never posted anything regarding his use of Hobbicolors products. Everyone is entitled his/her own opinion. He is a respected contributor to this forum. I will respect his opinion despite that I have never seen any message from him stating his actual experience of using the product he based.

My experience of using Hobbicolors PMT-ink is based on actual use of PMT-BK from hobbicolors. I am talking about having printed 3-4 boxes of plain paper, each box contained 10 500 sheet realms in the past 5 years. That's almost 20,000 sheets of actual use of the ink. One of my printers, an ip4300, got the majority of the print jobs, probably printed 2-3 boxes before its power button finally quit due to age and frequent use. I have not had a single problem with my purge unit. I have no idea why a well respected contributor of this forum wants to bash a product based on bad experience of using different product of a different brand.

Search the forum and find what others have said about Hobbicolors products. You don't want to make a conclusion based only on Ghwellsjr's or my input.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You are correct, nche11, I never used any Hobbicolors inks in any printers.

And I never bashed PMT-BK ink until after other people started reporting the identical problem with the purge unit clogging that I had with the old Inktec pigment, even though I had already discovered through my testing that it appeared to have the same problem.

Since you have been following my "posts regarding this issue fairly closely", you already know that, correct? Then why did you state that it is merely my opinion and not based on actual printer experience?

Good advice for everyone:
nche11 said:
Search the forum and find what others have said about Hobbicolors products. You don't want to make a conclusion based only on Ghwellsjr's or my input.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Oh my god, so you never used PMT-BK and you are merely speculating that PMT-BK will clog purge units? I followed the debate Leo8080 had with you on your purge unit clogging thread. Your clogging problem is your own fault based on the debate. All the printers that had the purge unit clogging used cartridges refilled by you with Inktec black pigment ink. This is insane!!!

I have not seen any posts reporting purge unit clogging by PMT-BK. Care to show me an example of such a report? What about good reports about PMT-BK by many on this forum including mine? You are a respected contributor to this forum. Please be fair and give some respect to my experience with PMT-BK based on my ACTUAL USE of PMT-BK for printing more than 15,000 sheets of text document on one single printer over 3 -4 years. I never had to touch the purge unit once.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
nche11 - First of all, any of the pigment-based inks can and do clog purge units. OEM ink users can have clogged purge units. Your printer use of 15,000 text documents from one printer in a three or four year period is a very high, constant level of use, and this may be the reason that you have not suffered a clogged purge unit. My expectation is that a low volume user would have more tendancy for clogged purge units as there is considerable time between print jobs that can permit ink to dry in the purge unit tube.

Secondly, let me request that you stay with your opinion and facts but avoid the type of attack that you displayed in your last post on this thread. This forum prides itself in maintaining a very high level of civility. Our goal is to help each other and extend this help in the kindest way possible. No put-downs, fault finding, of explitives.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Fotofreek, appreciate your input to this thread. I agree that infrequent use of inkjet printer is pron to issues, mostly clogged print heads. I have made my point very clear. Now that fans of ghwellsjr (or fans of IS ink) don't like to hear it I will say no more.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
slocumeddie said:
nche11

Keep your response(s) civil................or do not post. :rolleyes:
You are the one who should refrain from posting comment like this. You had done this to me before. This is a technical forum, please post something useful to others.

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,

I ended up with Inktec as tintenalarm hasn't replying to my e-mails....
I bought Inktec from tinte44.de.

So far so good. I've refilled after first warning, but made a few (8-14) draft prints to get as little as possible original inks in cartridge.

Q1: would I be safe to let printer stop printing, and then refill?[/b]

My magenta refill (first cartridge) was less than perfect as I couldn't fill up without having ink coming out (I refilled, let sponge soak and then only half refill was possible).
Yellow and cyan were just fine.

Q2:Can I make a profile right now, or should I wait (1 more refill) to let original ink to be negligible?

Now I already have PGI low level warning... this printer drinks ink!
Certainly a new experience as my Brother refills were about a year apart (!!!) :cool:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Certainly a new experience as my Brother refills were about a year apart (!!!)
I think Canon do use a fair amount of ink due to frequent "preparation" routines.

Your Brother carts probably lasted longer but how do they compare in capacity?

I am guessing the new Canon carts you are using are a lot smaller?

jopereira

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Redbrickman said:
Certainly a new experience as my Brother refills were about a year apart (!!!)
I think Canon do use a fair amount of ink due to frequent "preparation" routines.

Your Brother carts probably lasted longer but how do they compare in capacity?

I am guessing the new Canon carts you are using are a lot smaller?
Smaller... Much smaller :p
My Brother refillable cartridges can take 30-40ml. They are ink tanks!
I guess Canon can take 9ml (19ml PG).

Frequent "preparation" routines are my main concern... Brother must be connected to mains so it can do a cleaning cycle from time to time (my guess is 24h or so), but Canon does a "cleaning" everytime I turn it ON (also a guess).

This (frequent refilling) and the dificulty it imposes (when compared to Brother) makes Canon much less user friendly. :/
Before a profile with my photo paper and just don't know if it was a good or a bad choice. For now, I'm enjoying duplex printing on plain paper :cool: (my Brother doesn't have duplex)