smart phone printing

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
it looks like the newer models can print from a smart phone, does anyone know if a firmware update for the mp640 will allow smart phone printing

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I thought the smartphone needs a driver for the given printer.... What is the make and model of your smartphone?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know about printing from smartphones but many years ago, the iP6000D (which uses unchipped cartridges, just to let you know how old it is) had the ability to print from phones that had an IR interface and it didn't require any special driver in the phone, it followed a standard. It's kind of like the standard called PictBridge for wired USB printing from a camera to a printer. I can't imagine there not being a standard in today's smartphones.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
it is an iphone4, what i am looking for is info on the canon airprint, this is the info i have found so far but not for the mp640

A firmware update for the printer may be needed to support AirPrint.
You will need a PC (Mac or Windows), a USB cable, Firmware utility (download from our site) to perform this update.

Please click on your model below to get more information on the AirPrint firmware:

PIXMA MG8220 Wireless Photo All-In-One Printer
PIXMA MG6220 Wireless Photo All-In-One Printer
PIXMA MG5320 Wireless Photo All-In-One Printer
PIXMA MG4120 Wireless Photo All-In-One Printer
PIXMA MG3120 Wireless Photo All-In-One Printer
PIXMA MX892 Wireless Office All-In-One Printer
PIXMA MX512 Wireless Office All-In-One Printer
PIXMA MX432 Wireless Office All-In-One Printer

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I was responding to Simon R's suggestion that the smartphone needed a driver, not that your printer needed a firmware update. Sorry about the confusion.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
mrelmo wrote:
it is an iphone4, what i am looking for is info on the canon airprint, this is the info i have found so far but not for the mp640
According to this site only select models of wireless all-in-ones are supported: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/AirPrint

But maybe this workaround will work, allowing you to use any wireless printer?: http://en.kioskea.net/faq/10719-how...tible-printer#procedure-intermediate-advanced . It is a windows application.

I think the smartphone uses a memory card? Then you could use the card reader on the printer if the application doesn't work for you.