Single Use Chips for Canon Pro 1

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
I went to the AliExpress website to look at the single use chips for the canon pro 1 and I saw this (below). Notice # 2 in the Features section, it says "Auto Reset Chips, permanent chip, do not need chip resetter at all". I'm really dreaming now, but I do believe that this is a typo!

upload_2016-8-21_6-9-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-21_6-9-59.png
    upload_2016-8-21_6-9-59.png
    689 KB · Views: 407

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
If they can make a single use ship why cant they make a ARC?? Or is there one already....

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
They probably would prefer to sell many single use chips to a user instead of one set of ARCs.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If they can make a single use ship why cant they make a ARC?? Or is there one already....
I'm not familiar at all with the coding and the data exchange with these cartridge chips, but could think easily about some tricks in this respect, an ARC chip would need to do something on its own - resetting - which could be detected by the printer firmware, the ARC chip for this purpose would require some power to do so which the printer hardware/firmware could cut off except for the data read/write cycles, the firmware could serialize the transactions with the chips and detect any changes etc, there are lots of little tricks possible on top of encryption, there is no limit anymore what firmware could do, but like always all that may not be NSA proof at the end, it would be a matter of time and effort to get over all that. So printer companies come out with new cartridge/chip designs frequently to continue the game.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
an ARC chip would need to do something on its own - resetting - which could be detected by the printer firmware, the ARC chip for this purpose would require some power to do so which the printer hardware/firmware could cut off except for the data read/write cycles

This could be where the "Resetter" would come into play... but I don't think that is going to happen.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This could be where the "Resetter" would come into play... but I don't think that is going to happen.
Nice find @William Seawards, but your living in dream land, just look at the add itself again, why would you need 5 of each individual chips if they were ARC chips ? one set will be more than sufficient.

The description is just lost in the translation to English and is not meant to trick you, to date the Pro 1 chip has not been hacked, nor will you find a Redsetter for that chip either, that’s the bad news, but the good news is the one-time chip does the same job...

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Nice find @William Seawards, but your living in dream land, just look at the add itself again, why would you need 5 of each individual chips if they were ARC chips ? one set will be more than sufficient.

Its probably a web page that someone "cut and pasted" and they didn't check its contents. It was a nice thought though! :)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
So printer companies come out with new cartridge/chip designs frequently to continue the game.

Given what microprocessors are capable of and their relative...stupendous cheap prices. ( Ever considered the processing power contained inside a dSLR? you'd be shocked) Consider what a printer sells for and what can be put inside even at the manufacturing level. Now add to that the same type of capability on the cartridge chip side and what a cartridge/tank sells for and you can arrive at a conclusion that it is stupendously easy to hard lock down chips for the aftermarket if they seriously needed or wanted to.

If we are not close or at the edge of the great wall we are darn close. Consider what a disposable smartcard costs and the chip contained on it. The processing power inside a modern printer is/can be higher than what a payment terminal will have. Now put two and two together. The end is near very near.......I can smell it.

It is a simply a question of just how far the printer mfrs want to push it or how high they want to build the wall. They can do it anytime they want. The better the refill options and the more people refill, the higher the wall will become. It is the one thing keeping the cash flow going for them.

At the same time, what would you prefer to sell as a chip/electronics mfr? Multiple one time chips or one resetter?

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
At the same time, what would you prefer to sell as a chip/electronics mfr? Multiple one time chips or one resetter?

I guess it boils down to how many images the average user of these printers prints in the printers life time? There is a sticky titled "Printer refill numbers - 983 refills" and can you image a new sticky titled "I went to my BIG BOX store and bought enough OEM ink to refill my printer 983 times"? Really, who would admit that! Average Joe would probably think that he's crazy, and throw in all the paper to use up all that ink... and then times that by how many printers you have. The manufacturers see $$$$$. I would be surprised if there isn't activists now circulating Congress trying to pass a bill to ban refilling, the OEM ink boys.
Edited by the moderator..