Should I rescue my MP830?

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I've posted about this in other posts, but wanted to ask a different question
My MP830 has died. Boo hoo :(
It's complaining of a faulty print head - or something like that

New print head costs: 60 - or something like that
(Anyone know where I can get a cheaper one??)

Now... I can pick up a second hand one for about 30 - 40 (on eBay)

What should I do?
Rescue my one?
Buy a second hand one?
Move on with life!?

The printer is a huge monster - only great for me because it had an ADF with duplex scanning

Any advice would be great

Thanks

OM

macattak1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have you soaked it in Windex or distilled water? I am guessing what doing so over night or two and then rinsing with more distilled water might just clean it up. Has worked for me.

Also, if you do get it working, I print this page once a week when I am not printing any other color. http://www.neilslade.com/gifs/TestPrint4Color.jpg

Peace and Blessings

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
If I were you I would buy a new print head. MP830 is a great machine.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
thanks for the replies
well...i had a really great idea about soaking it in water!
that didn't help

ALSO: i forgot to mention a few details that i should have mentioned

- i can sometimes get it to work - nearly!
the PGBK doesn't work - all other colours work

- the PGBK bit on the print head looks like it's broken

after 1 or 2 test prints, the same error comes back
+ the black ink from PGBK seems to be leaking somehow

duh: am i being dumb - is that my answer?
it's the broken seal on the print head?
but that's the think - i couldn't figure out how the seal could have possibly broken??

OK, so let's say i replace the print head - now will that give me a COMPLETE new printer in effect??
if i do opt for this option... would u guys recommend i get new ink cartridges?

but... as i said... i can get a second hand WORKING MP830 for a cheaper price than a new print head! :)

so... maybe get a second hand one and replace with new print head later when needed?

websnail: thanks for the link... i actually remember coming across that webpage - just forgot i'd seen it!

new print head - how about the rest of the insides? should i maybe clean other parts? maybe oil some of the joints??

all replies would be great in helping me decide whether i should keep or not

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The printhead is pretty much a new unit if all your problems are restricted to the bit between the cartridge and paper.. If the issue are more related to paper feeding or if you have issues with repeated clogs then you'd be likely to have similar problems...

It's probably pretty commonsensical but paper feed issue is going to be the printer base system so printhead not going to help... Repeated clogs may be issues with the ink you're using but I think you're looking at refilling anyway so finding a good quality in resolves that..

In summary, I'd say you're best getting a new printhead and starting your refilling career...

One thing I would definitely stop doing is trying to get your old one working... You could easily end up blowing your whole printer as some of us have found to our cost, so take that head out now and get a new head ordered before you do something more lasting.

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
In summary, I'd say you're best getting a new printhead and starting your refilling career...
aimen to that :)

websnail said:
One thing I would definitely stop doing is trying to get your old one working... You could easily end up blowing your whole printer as some of us have found to our cost, so take that head out now and get a new head ordered before you do something more lasting.
erm... i don't fancy eletrocuting myself!
would u recommend taking the print head out now and leaving empty?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
OM2 said:
would u recommend taking the print head out now and leaving empty?
Yes... Because the printhead is the bit that would dry out and cause clogging, the fact that you're replacing it means the printer won't suffer... Just remove the printhead, shut the printer down and wait for the replacement to arrive..

Possibly spend the time waiting, practising your refilling technique, etc...

OM2

Printer Guru
Reaction score
well... the thing is... it's been sitting there for about 3 weeks now
i'll do as u say all the same
thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
OM2 wrote:

New print head costs: 60 - or something like that
(Anyone know where I can get a cheaper one??)
The Canon part number is QY6-0061-010 so doing a Google search on that number or just on QY6-0061 may bring a better offer. In Denmark the price of that print head is around DKK 1000 which amounts to 115, so I think the crc-tasktron price is reasonable.

Your printer uses a series of cartridges that is easily refillable, and a resetter is available. The newest generation Canon printers use opaque cartridges that are difficult to refill, and you cannot visually check ink levels and no resetter is available. So I think your printer certainly is worth rescuing.

Peter.