Seals in the printhead?

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello, when I installed a ciss for my canon mp640 I had to install five seals in the printhead, where the cartridges installed to anticipate escapes or, at least, that says my porr manual.

I want to know if I have to remove these seals when I use original cartridges (OEM) or refillable cartridges.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Red John

Those little seals are only suppose to be used for CISS cartridges and not for any others, so remove them when youre using the normal refillable or OEM cartridge ok.. :)

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Very well, but why have they to be used only in a CISS? Which is his assignment?

In the manual it was not saying anything about his function.

Thanks.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Canon original seals don't provide enough resistance to make the seal necessary to draw enough vacuum for a CISS system to work. The new seals are solid instead of hollow so they don't deform and hopefully allow a CISS system to work albeit Canon is still not the ideal printer for CISS usage.

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
Canon is still not the ideal printer for CISS usage.
Yes, I do not doubt it, today I have known that I have thrown 88 pounds to the garbage for a RIHAC CISS that I bought :'(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Red John

:) All is not lost; you still have their good ink that can now be used in OEM cartridges.. :)

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Not, it evaporated at a few hours. This it is the explanation that I find because I do not believe that the extraterrestrial beings were taking the dye ink.

In addition the chips seemed to be defective because they were giving constant mistakes. Continuous spillages of ink. Bands.

The truth that me CISS's desires have removed themselves.

I should never have chosen for one.

I believe that this choice has been one of the worst of my life, and do not exaggerate.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ink doesn't evaporate in a few hours. Sounds like you had it siphon out. This happens usually when you place the ink tanks higher than the level of the print head. They need to be at or slightly below the level of the print head.

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, the CISS was for some hours on the printer, but ..., where did the whole ink remain? In the hoses it is not.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Red John

It sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare trying to install a CISS on your canon printer.

qwertydude said it all; Canon printers are not friendly towards CISS at all.
If you are still wondering where the ink went, look no further than the bottom of your printer it probably flooded the waste pads with 250ml. of ink. :(
I would keep an eye out for the ink in case it leaks all over your desk.
From now on youd be better to stick with OEM cartridges and refill them..